Can't Save As or Open From AutoCAD

Claire Clark

I have AutoCAD LT 2011. I cannot open a file from within AutoCAD or saveas from AutoCAD. I was told to set filedia and cmddia to 1 and this would fix the problem. Those settings were already set to 1 and I still have the same problem. I even reinstalled AutoCAD. Can anyone help me?

It must be a Windows update because I got exactly the same problem on several computers at the same time. I made it work again by placing this line into the "acad.lsp" file:

(command "appload")

It brings up an "Load/Unload Application" dialog right when I start AutoCAD. I just cancel that and from that point 'open', 'saveas' and 'insert' all work fine.

In your case (LT), try to go to Options>Files tab, click on "Support File Search Path", highlight any path that opens and then click "Browse". "Browse For Folder" dialog should pop up. Just cancel that and cancel Options dialog and you should be good to go. It should fix the problem for duration of your drawing session. You will have to do this every time you start the AutoCAD, until Microsoft fixes the problem in some next update.

I firmly believe that the Windows update is the problem.

What version of Autocad are you trying to open. If it is 2012 or newer 2011 will not open it.

Ooops my bad (as my kids would say) i thought that that you were trying to open a .dwg file that was not yours.

Edited by welldriller
Think i misread the message

Hello Paulmcz,

We figured it out late last night. It was Dropbox running something in the background that interfered with AutoCAD.

Thank you so much for your suggestion and for taking time to answer me.

Claire