Revit File Naming Conventions

resullins

Is there a naming convention in Revit? I know that, like, the file labeled MEP is the MEP link into the main file. But does anyone know what the Plant file would be? Or the PKA?

I ask, because all the files in the picture are for a project I'm working on, and a lot of these files are Links in the main file. I'm on LT, so the process of opening all these files, letting them upgrade to 2017, saving to LT format, then pointing the links in the main file back to the new LT file takes HOURS. I would like to weed out anything I don't need.

Also, what's the convention for naming the "Master" file?

Thanks... sorry, Revit files and links really just grate on me.

Capture.JPG

File naming is completely subjective and manual. I have never seen this approach for file naming. If I had to take a guess, the suffixes are simply a recorded issue that separates the file based on official submissions, sort of like a timestamp.

I never do such things. I have one file for architectural, one file for structural, and one file for all combined MEP systems. ASI's and revisions continue in the same file, and the Central Model will get copied/zipped/archived before ASI or revisions happen. Or, since now I use C4R, I put a comment on the Sync to Central since C4R has unlimited backups you can roll back to.

A very big word of advice: whatever version the incoming Revit models are, stay in that version. Forever and always. This saves all the time of upgrading and helps with compatibility, and if/when you ever get requested to send your file it's compatible. You can and should have three versions of Revit installed on your computer, from the latest version, then the two subsequent versions for jobs started in those native previous versions.

Best thing to do is reverse engineer each file. See how they're Linked (aka XREF'd) together, and see if there's Windows Explorer time stamp on them.

.. You can and should have three versions of Revit installed on your computer, from the latest version, then the two subsequent versions for jobs started in those native previous versions.

Best thing to do is reverse engineer each file.

..one aspect of this software and the marketing behind it.

Having many users per civil project (>50), and project that can take much longer than your avarage condo (> 4 years.) just. Big pain all this converting leads to.

Well,.. Choose Your weapon.

(such respons say something about the avarage speed companies more forward.. Translate that to revit and You will get the picture)

Yeah, I'd much rather open and save a file in a different format than have to deal with the upgrade process. It hurts me... And since AC is backwards compatible, you only have to do HALF the transitions with AC that you do with Revit.

Well,.. Choose Your weapon.

(such respons say something about the avarage speed companies more forward.. Translate that to revit and You will get the picture)

Haha!! Veeeery true Hans. Very true.

Yeah, I'd much rather open and save a file in a different format than have to deal with the upgrade process. It hurts me... And since AC is backwards compatible, you only have to do HALF the transitions with AC that you do with Revit.
All you're doing is exporting? If that's the case, definitely keep all versions of Revit installed so this process doesn't hurt you in the future. I thought maybe you were simply tweaking some things in the models themselves.

@TZ: Yeah, though I'm trying to learn to work within the models, all I can do right now really is export. So I just reinstalled 2016... maybe that will help.