Create an embossing from an image / photo....

weim

Hi all,

Can anyone offer any advice / guidance........I am trying to create a solid model for some 3D printing I am doing, but what I wish to do is take an image of my dogs head for example and create an embossing on a solid plate....like a memorial plaque you see etc...which have been skilfully crafted by hand.

I should add I have access to most advanced Image editing & CAD packages.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• weim

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am trying this with ZBrush but this is the first time I have used it and cant seem to even get the texture applied to the plane despite following this video.......I do notice my texture keeps defaulting to BrushTxtr where as on the video it actually retains the image name.........On essence my image should be easier as its just square.

Yes, unfortunately, that video was made about 8 years ago and the program has changed a lot since then.

Here's how you can get your texture on to the plane.

1. Drag out the plane object on the canvas, Hit "T" to get into Edit mode and then click the "Make PolyMesh3D" button. This will make it so you can sculpt on the plane.

2. Go to the "Geometry" rollout, click the "Smt" button to disable smoothing and then click the Divide button several times to increase your subdivision levels. I would recommend going to at least Level 5 which will give you about 260k polygons.

3. Go to the Materials palette and choose "Flat Color".

4. Go to the Texture palette and Import your image.

5. Go to the Polypaint rollout and click the "Polypaint From Texture" button to load your image on to the plane.

Thanks for the info, yes I now have the image on the plane..........I will perseverve with this, I'm guessing once I have done this I can import into max and model my plaque in there incorporating this geometry?

Well, I'll tell you right now, Max is not going to like that high poly sculpt. If I was doing this, I would model the plaque in Max first. Then I would import the plaque into ZBrush and create the sculpt.

Then you can export everything from ZBrush for 3D printing using the 3D Print Exporter from the "Zplugin" menu. http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/zbrush-plugins/3d-print-exporter/

Ok thanks for the heads up.....I must admit my background is mechanical CAD i.e. inventor / AutoCAD so this will be a challenge for me for sure but I'll persevere with it.

Do you think the images below will give a good result, I'm trying to play around with ZBrush at the moment......? I wasn't quite sure what to do about the white BG?

weim-1.jpg

weim-1 blur.jpg

weim-1 dark.jpg

weim-1 light.jpg

weim-1 fine.jpg

The white background is going to be a problem because when you convert the image to an alpha and then Mask by Alpha, the white area will be fully unmasked. So when you try to offset the surface or sculpt, you will be affecting the white background more than the image of the dog. You should change the background to black.

You may also have to lighten the dogs collar to more of a grey color. Anything that's black will be fully masked.

I am now looking to export from max for 3d print, is there a plugin or way to literally scan the model to produce a sound mesh which doesnt contain all the messy union of the two parts. i.e. something that will almost scan the model and produce a bound volume for print?

In Studio Max? Not that I know of, which is why I recommended that you do the work in ZBrush and export from there.

In ZBrush you can make a copy of your imported model and then run Dynamesh to combine the separate models together and close up any holes or gaps that may exist. After Dynamesh you can run ZRemesher to retopologize the model and then Project the high poly detail from your original imported model on to the Retopologized model. Here is a good video that explains the whole process:

Thanks Cad64........yes I meant smax......I would love to work in Zbrush soley....but unfortunately I just dont know the program. I will have a go with the dynamesh idea.

Yeah, it's a pretty amazing program but it does take a lot of getting used to. I came from a mechanical and architectural background, so I was always used to dealing with precision, but I had to throw all that out when I started with ZBrush. It's completely different from any other program I have ever used and it requires more of an artistic approach than a technical approach. I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you. I hope to see you posting some photos of your 3D printed plaque here one of these days.

'

I will post some pictures up when I have the part printed, I did do some 3d printing before from a guy on ebay and the result was poor.....it was like a lump of charcoal, and that was a perfectly modeled 3d part, so we shall see how I get on this time around. Thanks again from your help.

Any idea on file size limits for 3d print, obviously with the fine mesh required for this part my stl file is coming out at 80mb but the 3d print guy is saying 3mb ideal file size, just seems too small to me.

I don't know much about the 3D print side of things, but I'm guessing that larger file sizes probably take longer to print, and the guy you're talking with probably doesn't want his printer tied up all day on your project so he's requesting a small file size? Or maybe his printer can't handle high resolution meshes?

You might want to take a look at some other 3D print services. I have seen some amazing stuff coming from a company called Ownage. They don't have a website but you can get their contact information from this thread: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?65634-3D-Prints-Cheap-Good-(Free-Print-Game-is-ON-P-3!)

Here's another print service you might want to look at: https://www.myminifactory.com/