3D Modelling

ewanrob

Hi there, new to the board...

I'm using the 3d Modelling in AutoCAD 2017 in anger for the 1st time really, the company I work for manufacture large diameter mild steel pipework. We make quite a few specialized fittings, (Lobster back bends, Reducing Tees etc)

I have introduced a branch into a Lobster back on its centrelines, I'm trying to slice the branch on the inside of the bend by using the branch inside surface. But it keeps coming up with the message "no surface selected" even though it has highlighted it. What am I doing wrong ?

E

Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post and someone here will take a look at it. If the file size exceeds the max allowed use a file sharing website like DropBox and post a link to it here.

Yep pretty much same as mine, although yours is in Wireframe where mine was in Realistic.

How did you slice the straight pipe as it came through the segmental bend..or do you extrude upto a surface ?

Yep, I realise that...but when I try to slice it says no surface selected when I click on the internal surface of the bend. So I assumed as it was a solid it wont do it, did you not have to change anything ?

You would need to create a surface matching the curved profile of the intersection of the two pipes to slice the branch. This could be done using the Extract Edges command to obtain the edges then use the EdgeSurf command to create the surface.

Edited by ReMark