Creating DWG files 4 viewing in Trueview with layer controls but no dims info

Nick D

Hi Forum - Newbie Nick here :)

I would like to web host an Autocad 3d model so customers can view and rotate my product by downloading TrueView, and have the ability to turn layers on and off to view and run through the various product options.

This appears easy enough in itself, but I don't want to give away the ability to take dimensions from the model.

Is it possible to save the Model Rendered Layers only, without dimensional info that could be poached by competitors?

I have played with printing to PDF - but cannot find a viewer that customers could download free that would allow them to switch layers - besides which - this does not allow rotate etc...

There is probably a simple way to achieve this, but think I've been staring at the screen too long and developed blinkers!

Any ideas appreciated,

Thanks

Nick

Have you thought about using an online site like Sketchfab.com? You could export your CAD models to .fbx format and then upload them to your Sketchfab page. Then your customers could view your models without having to download and install any software and they wouldn't be able to pull dimensions off your models.

They won't be able to turn layers on and off though, but you could upload different versions of your models.

Here's a grenade model I uploaded a while back: https://skfb.ly/I8KN

Have you thought about using an online site like Sketchfab.com? You could export your CAD models to .fbx format and then upload them to your Sketchfab page. Then your customers could view your models without having to download and install any software and they wouldn't be able to pull dimensions off your models.

They won't be able to turn layers on and off though, but you could upload different versions of your models.

Here's a grenade model I uploaded a while back: https://skfb.ly/I8KN

Thanks for your kind response - Trouble is I'd have to create so many individual models that I'd get lost with the sheer amount - Let alone my customers! I do like the sketchfab site - clarity is excellent.

Well, TrueView has a measure tool right up there on the ribbon. So, users can get accurate measurements without the dimensions even in the drawing.

The dimension tool is really what begged the question - that's why I wondered if rendered images would carry them - but guessing it's all to scale.

My WEB man has Ideas with a database of photo's - Will see where that leads, or possibly see if the local University IT students fancy a challenge.

Thanks anyway

N

The dimension tool is really what begged the question - that's why I wondered if rendered images would carry them - but guessing it's all to scale.

My WEB man has Ideas with a database of photo's - Will see where that leads, or possibly see if the local University IT students fancy a challenge.

Thanks anyway

N

Renders do not carry the true scale, and cannot be measured accurately since they are raster images in perspective view. They are their own actual size, in pixels or dpi. A 3D dwg file, on the other hand will display in TrueView to scale, and it will be measurable.

Posted by Smartguy

yes. this is the way of thinking dear. now you can do it easily
Say wha......?