New to 3D

abraCADabra

I am trying to turn this into a 3D drawing. It is an awning structure that will be 10ft long, with 2 of these "Ribs' in equal lengths. I cant seem to figure out how to turn this into a 3d object. I am using 2k7. I would like to either do it in ISO, or 3d. I know all I need to do is turn this into 3D, then I can just copy this, but I just dont know how to get there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TEST 2.dwg

I apologize. I just saw 3d modeling and I placed it here. I am currently using my home laptop with 2k7. I think I figured it out though. I dont know what I did, but i somehow got it to turn into a 3d object. I will update my profile to reflect the change in software. I think what I did was took the 2D and did an extrude, and when I opened it in another vp, it somehow became what I was trying to accomplish. Once again, my apologies for the incorrect placement of the post

Hello abraCADabra (near Charlotte) this is f700es (near Winston-Salem) :)

1st off you need to draw your tubing the correct size. I measured yours and they are .083"

Screenshot_1.jpg

I am not sure what size you need but I looked up some sq tubing and it looks like .75" will work. So lets start there.

We can scale your drawing up to reflect this dimension. This gives us a depth of 36.145" for this structure. Is this correct?

Screenshot_2.jpg.

If not you really need to start over. I am also not sure what level of detail you need to show, that is do you need to show the radius corners of the tubing?

I hope this helps you get started.

Sean

The centre cross brace does not look right would not the angle meet the vertical and the longitudinal "Square" be placed on the top chord ?

Looks ok to me used rotate3d about X axis vpoint 45 45 and a hide.

Screen Shot 09-20-16 at 12.52 PM.PNG

I think you might want to consider either going up to 1.5" square tubing or staying at 1" square but adding another frame in the center of the structure. Wall thickness of 1/8".

BTW...your drawing is set up to be using decimal inches. Might I suggest you switch your units to architectural with a precision of either 1/8" or 1/16"? This awning is supposed to be about 3 feet high and 4 feet wide is it not?

Is this what you had in mind?

Awning1.jpg

Close up of one end. The magenta colored tube would be welded to the top chord.

Awning2.jpg

Edited by ReMark

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone. I think I have most of this figured out. I have only been using 3D for a few weeks, but I think I am coming along well with my skills. I have actually been a member here for a LONG time. I'm an old dog from the previous cad site. I think Cad64 may Remember Rickard, and Michelle, just to name a couple. There was a time I went unemployed and was out of the CAD field, but now I am back in it and will be around more often. Thanks for the 3D help, and I hope to be able to help some of the younger less experienced cad guys out here!!