Can Only Select One Item At A Time

GEEKBOY69

When I select items to copy or move it does not let you select more than one item at a time. Does anybody know what variable that could be?

Go into options/preferences and check the selection settings

check if the 'use shift to add to selection' box is ticked

only thing i can think of :)

Go into options/preferences and check the selection settings

check if the 'use shift to add to selection' box is ticked

only thing i can think of :)

that's just more like an "add-on" to the pickadd variable. it's pickadd for sure.

most people enable/disable this by clicking the icon at the top right of the Properties box, and they don't realize that toggles selection to either one or multiple. 8)

that's just more like an "add-on" to the pickadd variable. it's pickadd for sure.

most people enable/disable this by clicking the icon at the top right of the Properties box, and they don't realize that toggles selection to either one or multiple. 8)

It does the same thing as using the variable - usual thing with autocad. Several different ways to do the same thing :shock:

I'm terrible for forgetting variable names as soon as i find out about them :roll:

I've seen that button on properties since 2005 came out and never looked twice at it!! :? learn something new everyday :D

It does the same thing as using the variable - usual thing with autocad. Several different ways to do the same thing :shock:

I'm terrible for forgetting variable names as soon as i find out about them :roll:

I've seen that button on properties since 2005 came out and never looked twice at it!! :? learn something new everyday :D

actually, no it doesn't do the same thing (exactly). the pickadd variable allows you to EITHER (1) pick one selection at a time, or (2) each pick adds to the selection.

having this shift setting box checked, requires you to hold down the shift key every single time you want to add to the selection. this is an extra step that i'm sure the new poster didn't want to hastle with. that's what i was getting at.... 8)

actually, no it doesn't do the same thing (exactly). the pickadd variable allows you to EITHER (1) pick one selection at a time, or (2) each pick adds to the selection.

having this shift setting box checked, requires you to hold down the shift key every single time you want to add to the selection. this is an extra step that i'm sure the new poster didn't want to hastle with. that's what i was getting at.... 8)

hmm maybe its something to do with the CAD version. Ticking the box 'use shift to add to selection' gives you the same functionality as far as being only able to pick one object unless you hold down shift.

The pickadd variable is directly connected to the 'use shift to add to selection' box. You can't change one without changing the other.

lol, maybe you're misunderstanding, and no it doesn't have anything to do with CAD versions... trust me i use the Shift key a lot when deselecting objects that i've overselected. it performs the same function as PICKADD to 1, the only difference is i don't wanna hold the shift key down when i want to pick multiple objects, because 99% of the time i'm selecting multiple objects. so, to further clarify:

PICKADD=1 - select multiple objects with the mouse.

PICKADD=0 - select one object at a time per mouse select, or multiple objects with a drag select.

"Use shift to add to selection" - same as above, except you have to hold the shift key down to select multiple objects when the PICKADD=0.

so why hold shift down every single time you want to select multiple objects? that's why you set pickadd to 1.

got it now? lol

ok i'm going to call a friend....Autocad Help :P

Use SHIFT to Add to Selection

Adds an object to or removes it from the selection set when you press SHIFT and select an object. To clear a selection set quickly, draw a selection window in a blank area of the drawing. (PICKADD system variable)

Pickadd=0 is 'using shift to Add to Selection'

• 5 years later...
that's just more like an "add-on" to the pickadd variable. It's pickadd for sure.

Most people enable/disable this by clicking the icon at the top right of the properties box, and they don't realize that toggles selection to either one or multiple. 8)

i looked bu couldnot find the icon. Could you give me more details.

Thanks,

carol

Open your Properties palette.

To the right of the box that has the words "No Selection" you'll see an icon with a "green cross" on it. If you hover your mouse over this icon a tooltip appears that says "Toggle value of PICKADD sysvar". That is what is being referred to in the post you quoted from. Easy.

Open your Properties palette.

To the right of the box that has the words "No Selection" you'll see an icon with a "green cross" on it. If you hover your mouse over this icon a tooltip appears that says "Toggle value of PICKADD sysvar". That is what is being referred to in the post you quoted from. Easy.

And in older versions it was a RED cross that people mistook for the close the palette icon.

• 3 years later...

I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out why this kept getting toggled off. thanks for the extra info above an beyond. :D