File Management

3Ddesiner1960

File structure on the network.

Trying to get some ideas on file structure using Solidworks and AutoCAD drawing.

The Company I work for is comprised of several divisions from other complies they purchase and it is hard to find files.

My co-work and I, are trying to establish our own file structure.

Some of it is folders are temporary for R&D tell it is released for production and other folders are for rework download folder and vendor info and notes folders, cad blocks, ect..

Rework files are just copied to temp director and when done we create PDF and we put into a fold on server for others to upload to our parts system and move file back and over write old file.

We are also creating an ECO Engineering Change Order to keep track of changes using Excel spread sheet.

I know Excel can link to PDM, but our company will not purchase PDM due to its cost.

Plus I am still looking for free check in check out program that will allow us to “check-out” copy file from selected fold and remember that path and copy to designated folder for rework.

When complete rework file, “check-in” moves file back.

Anyone have any ideas?

It sounds like you guys really need a PDM system! Solidworks Pro and Premium both come with a default Workgroup PDM system that you can setup. It doesn't have all the functionality of ePDM but you can still help with your management, revisions, check in/out etc. It allows a lot of that functionality but i dont think/know if there is any external users.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/docs/solidworks-workgroup-pdm-data-sheet.pdf

There are cheap and free utilities out there to help with this sort of thing that are not PDM systems. Flatter files is one that is setup(cloud based) to ease things drawing management and distribution. Its really affordable and a great product.

https://www.flatterfiles.com/

Lastly if you can get the green light for a PDM solution we can help.

http://mysolidbox.com/solidworks/news/solidbox-teams-with-industry-leader-epigrid-to-provide-a-unique-enterprise-pdm-solution

There are things that we can do to ease the financial burden but it is always a big leap. There are many PDM solutions out there for Solidworks but they all have their own hurdles. Having SolidBox/Epigrid setup and manage the install/transition is by far the easiest way. I have seen first hand when 3rd party PDM systems are installed and run there are tons of downstream headaches.

I can't really comment on your file structure because that is very much based on company and users. The hardest thing with setting up a company to use a folder structure that is non PDM(doesn't require a check in/out) is just getting everyone to use it/do the same thing. That will always bite you.

I am not sure if you are aware of this but SW files already have documents built into them. The Design Binder automatically has a Word doc attached to it and you have the ability to attach other things as well. Not sure if that helps or not. There are things within windows you can do like adding Tags and Descriptions(external to SW) that might help you sort and organize things but again its a gamble.

yes but it supports every file type. It can't manage other things as well as solidworks but you can use it to store every type of cad file, ms office doc, pdf etc.