copy/paste assistance

hlshp

Hi, I am using autocad Lt 14. I hope you can help. I have two drawings open and trying to copy and paste from one to the other. Have tried to all the conventional methods.. highlighting the subject area..right click/clipboard/ paste and pasting onto the other drawing no luck. Have tried highlighting control+c then control+v.. no luck. Having tried for an hour or so I have had varying results...

1. The image does occasionally come across but it very large and appears in an obscure part of the model space..

2. Having carried out the copy command AutoCAD will not let me switch to the second drawing.

3. When I carry out the paste I get text I had used from a previous programme.

Grateful if someone could explain what I am doing wrong that results in the above.

Thanks

...3. When I carry out the paste I get text I had used from a previous programme....

This indicates that nothing is being copied into the clipboard from the drawing.

Just a shot in the dark:

Where has the problem drawing come from?

Has it come from an outside source, someone who is using AutoCad 2007 or 2008?

There was a problem with early versions of 2007 (and some early 2008 versions) that when you 'saved as' drawings to an earlier version the copy and copybase commands would not put anything onto the clipboard from those drawings.

When you tried to paste you got whatever was previously in the clipboard; just as you describe above.

You will need to 'fix' the problem drawing .

Simply Open and resave it.

If this still doesn't fix it try using DWGtrueview, you can download it free from the Autodesk website.

If you 'convert in place' the problem drawings to the same fromat that they already are this will cure the copy/paste problem.

If this is the problem then you may want to contact whoever created the drawing and tell them to apply the latest service packs to their Autocad version.

There were quite a few threads about this problem at the time.

As I say it's just a shot because I have not heard of this old problem causing what you describe at (1) and (2).

PS.

In future you may want to say you are using LT 2014.

(LT 14 is an older version from the 1990's, before they started using the year as the version name).

Are you trying to copy an actual image? I have to ask because many people come here saying image meaning the objects they are copying.

If it is not an image, this type of problem existed well before 2007 and continues to exist in the latest release. The reasons are many and can usually be solved by doing a conversion with Drawing TrueView.

If it is an actual image another method may need to be applied.