Audit duplicate entities

takeanosan

So I've got one of my staff reporting that audit causes duplicate entities within blocks.

Has anyone come across anything similar?

Edited by takeanosan
Duplicate entities within blocks only

How did your staff member determine that the AUDIT command was causing duplicate entities in blocks in the first place? Doesn't the command check for errors in the drawing? Why would it create errors in a drawing instead?

Still trying to trace what was going on(Second time this was reported)

The story was:

She finished part of the drawing and used the audit command before going out for lunch.

After coming back she continues to CAD for a while until she finds out that several of the blocks in the drawing has overlapped entities. (Quite obvious, doors are duplicated and flipped)

She also mentioned that the duplicate entities tend to be those around the hatches / the hatches themselves. Some of the blocks have as much as 16 duplicates. :/

Besides that, this happens to the blocks that she has been editing before using audit. The blocks that have not been edited do not have duplicate entities.

She suspects audit because she drew all the lines herself, and couldn't have messed up the blocks while drawing it. (would have been obvious)

She reported that she saw around 5000+ errors audited, but after running audit on her messed up drawing I found 22 errors.

I ruled out using the copy command and pressing multiple spaces because more than 1 duplicates are found. Also because this only happens within blocks.

LISP is also ruled out because she is running AutoCAD LT 2016.

If it was accidentally done to 1 block I'd understand, but this happened to multiple blocks in the drawing.

I can't seem to think of any other other commands that could cause this as well.

I've told her to save her drawing before doing any audits in the future, and I'll wait and see if this comes up again.

x1.jpg

I have never encountered this type of problem using the AUDIT command and I run the command on every drawing I work on, every day as it is part of a macro that I use to clean up and save my drawings. There has to be something else going on.

The AUDIT command inspects the drawing's file for database errors so the likelihood of it introducing errors of its own accord is nil. Audit only reports back what it finds in the database.

Can you provide us with a copy of this drawing? If the file is too large to upload here then use a file sharing website like DropBox and post a link to it here.

Do you also run such commands as Overkill and -Purge prior to running the Audit command?

What is the source of the drawing? Has content been brought into the drawing from any other drawings?

Have you experienced the same problem with any drawing you have worked on?

Has any other CAD operator experienced the same problem?

Is the problem unique to just one drawing or any drawing this particular CAD operator works on? What is the level of her CAD experience?

What steps have you taken to isolate the cause of the problem thus far?

Edited by ReMark

With that many errors, I'm not surprised. You should focus on what is causing the errors. Once that is corrected, the duplication issue should resolve itself.

I've taken out major parts of the drawing, but this should be sufficient.

After further inspection on the drawing I also found duplicate blocks. I'll ask her a bit more and investigate around tomorrow when she comes to work. It's already past office hour at the moment.

I have yet to experience anything similar nor has any other CAD operator in the office. So far it has been unique to this drawing, whilst her CAD skill has been competent thus far. (>5 yrs experience)

Going to try to copy the contents to a new drawing, either through Wblock or manually copying.

http://expirebox.com/download/f5c8ee2dd10b825bb7e5d80a92995346.html

Thanks for the drawing. Wish you had answered all my questions though.

I think this will end up being a case of what I refer to as O.I.E. Operator Induced Error.

I see xrefs were used. That could be one possible cause of the problems. What is the source of the drawing being xreffed?

A quick run through using Overkill and -Purge (Regapps) and -Purge (All) reveals...

-11 duplicate objects

-145 overlapping objects

Unreferenced objects including....

-18 Regapps (first time) + 2 additional Regapps (second time)

-1 dimstyle

-7 text styles

-3 linetypes

-31 layers

-159 blocks

Audit reported 114900 objects in two passes, 3334 blocks and it fixed 11 errors.

It seems to me the drawing was not properly cleaned up.

After running the WBLOCK command and comparing file sizes the original drawing was a little over 9MB in size. The new drawing is now down to a little over 1MB in size.

Edited by ReMark

There are still 20 errors in that file. Sometimes .dwgs do get corrupt. Finding the cause is sometimes impossible as it could be unrelated to AutoCAD or the user. A single file with issues is not worth the time finding the cause. Fixing the file should be the course of action until it happens again. Once it is repeated, then try to find the cause as it has been verified as repeatable.

Like other posters a dwg with any or more than say 2 errors we start to wonder what caused it.

Civ3D errors we have one operator and next step is the 2x4 about office stds ,"In case I make a mistake I will save a copy, one job had the surface model 6 times.

But we have had some funny things with Civ3D alignments existing and not found by the road software. An alignment that just will not work etc.