Problem with Path Array

basM

Hi All,

Currently we are developing a filter mesh plate that is round and consisting out of countless holes of 0.03mm x 0.45mm in diameter.

The filter disk area is 130mm.

I am running into the problem that my Autocad 2015 software does not produce all the holes.

1. Using a Path array from a helix (499 turns) 500 seems to be the max?

2. I drew a box of 0.03mm x 0.45mm and activated the path array.

3. It only produced 17421 items in the outer rim of the filter disk. Everything in the middle etc is still empty. When i change the amount of turns to lets say 100. the entire disk is filled. However we need between 475 and 500 turns to provide enough holes in the filter.

I added the file to be downloaded from my dropbox folder as .DWG (3MB) so you can see in detail what i mean and try to solve.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8q62or2adwb0wz/Micromesh%20plate%200.45mm%20x%200.03mm.dwg?dl=0

If anyone can edit the file so the entire disk is filled that would be great, or provide me with the solution so i can do it my self.

Also it seems that the blokx (holes) do not follow the helix line properly, spacing between blocks are inconsistent?

With kind regards,

Bas:)

mesh 02 outer rim filled.jpg

Mesh 01.jpg

Thanks for your quick reply,

I think 2 GTX760 GForce cards watercooled system with 16GB ram should do the job.

However, if you are right, would you mind to take a quick look at the file and see if it does work on your system?

With kind regards,

Bas

You'll have to give me a moment. In the meantime is there any way you could break it up into four sections (i.e. - four groups of rings)?

Is it possible as the helix starts to tighten AutoCAD can't actually meet the parameters you have set out for the spacing and just stops?

Was there any reason why you failed to mention you are attempting to do this in 3D (using solids)?

You do realize your metric drawing has been created using a template file that specifies decimal inches for its units don't you?

When you invoked the ARRAYPATH command what criteria did you specify? I'm sure Align was one but what were the others?

I thought you wanted help with this immediately? Unfortunately I have other things to attend to at the moment. I can't continue unless you provide the requested information. Anyway, I'd lay out the holes in 2D then create regions, extrude them and subtract from the extruded disc.

Edited by ReMark

Hi Mark,

Good questions;), ill try tomorrow to break up the rings and see if this works

Also ill try to chsnge the spacing parameters in the array.

Reason for the solids was that i find it a bit of a hassle to fillet the edges of a blok. The fillet function for solids is quick ans easy

I am aware that the file is set in inches

Hmm regarding the ARRAYPATH, i only selected the object and the path, furthermore i did not select additional parameters.

The second option you suggest is new to me. Approx there are 100k holes to be made, you mention there is a possibility by creating regions to achieve the goal?

Again thanks for your quick response and ellaborate reply

With kind regards,

Bas

The solid block you created is taller in height than the disc it will be subtracted from meaning all you really needed to do is create a 2D rectangle, fillet the four corners then extrude it.

The suggestion to use regions must first start with 2D geometry.

I've attempted once again to repeat what you have done but have had no success. Were you finally able to get the results you were looking for?

Wouldn't the holes actually be created in a series of concentric rings rather than a helix pattern?

Edited by ReMark