Laptop GPU for AutoCAD 2015, 2D only

Msradell

I'm looking to buy a new laptop to run AutoCAD 2015 on. I only use 2D functionality because that's where required for the software I use with It (Shear97 rebar detailing). I know I want an SSD, i7 processor, 16 GB maybe 32 GB of RAM, etc. but I'm confused about what to do for a GPU. 1 of the laptops I'm looking at (Sager) come standard with the GPU that's part of the i7-6700 processor which is Intel 530. From what I've read this should be adequate but I can easily upgrade the laptop to a Nvidia GTX950 or higher. My question is what is anybody else running for a GPU for routine 2D CAD work and what would you recommend?

Thanks,

Mark

Any upgraded GPU will be more than enough. You don't really "need" it, but it helps with performance overall so if you're okay with the budget, I'd throw in an upgraded GPU.

Honestly you don't need an i7 if you are only doing 2D. The main difference between an i5 and the i7 is the hyper-threading of the CPU. Sure it might be a bit faster in clock cycles but not sure if it willbe worth the money. An i7 will drain the battery faster, for sure. If you are not rendering 3D models then you really don't need an i7. A true quad i5 will be just fine. I do agree on getting the dedicated GPU. Do get the SSD though.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm actually going for the i7 processor because I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking software to control my computer because of a disability. It uses a lot of CPU power. I'm probably going to go for a laptop with a Nvidia GTX 950 or 960 since nobody have recommended anything different.

Any 900 series nVidia card is VERY stout, especially for 2D AutoCAD. No need to recommend anything different, it's basically as good as it gets within budget reasons. I'd say fire away and click "Add to Cart" and enjoy the new rig.

-TZ

• 2 months later...

I use Dragon & AutoCAD together on a Gen 4 i7 (2.6ghz) with a Quadro and it gets a little bogged every now and again. Dragon really eats into your CPU, its like you are throttled by this massive leach all the time. My next laptop is going to be expensive...