Copy

Jake8090

Can anyone please advise whether or not a part file can be copied from one project file to another project file. I have file which I would like to use in different projects without having to re draw each time.

Can anyone explain how to do this please. I have tried number of ways but none seem to work.

Regards Jake8090

You can insert any drawing file (.dwg) into any other drawing. You can simply navigate to it in the insert dialog and insert it. You can insert through the DesignCenter. You can add to the tool palette. Are any of those what you are thinking about?

What ways have you tried that didn't work?

Remember that the objects you are inserting have to be in ModelSpace, however they can be inserted into MS or PS.

Thank you for your reply, however the files I am working on are part files in Autodesk Inventor not .dwg files

I have tried copying the required file to the clipboard then going into the new project opening a new part file then pasting, but this does not work.

If you can help further it would be very much appreciated.

By the way it looks like you are a dog lover like myself

Brian (Jake8090)

Oops, I didn't notice this was in the Inventor forum. I do use Inventor as well but I am still at beginner status. I know that was covered in a class I took but I never used it and forgot it all. Yeah my wife and I love former racing greyhounds, we aren't involved in the rescue group any more but we did a fair amount of fostering and of course failing at fostering. One time we had 4 of the couch potatoes in the house.

Make sure that you are working in the same Inventor Window (instead of opening multiple Inventor Applications where the clipboard will not be linked). You can drag and drop files which is pretty easy but might tell you the file is in the incorrect project - you can say ok and this will still import the file but might ask you later to find it again. Mess around with the libraries (make sure all files are closed and then go the the project tab to create/edit projects and setup the workspace and libraries). If you use the Vault you can have one project and then organize your files through it with easier duplication of parts. As it was explained to me a project it just a "box" to keep your part files in with a library location it looks for these files. You can create another project "box" and put the same file in it but have to add the file location to the libraries in that project so it knows where to find it. Do a bit of searching about projects there is a bunch of good info in message boards and youtube.

Once again thank you for your replies. rkent I have in the past had three boarder collies , two mongrels, & four Bernese Mountain Dogs. still got one of the Collies about 12 years old a rescue. (Jake)

Back to Inventor, I am a retired structural engineer using inventor as a hobby but still novice but think I have solved the problem. If I save the file I want to re use as a template I am then able to use it in any project, which is what I was looking for. I have tried it and it works so I hope this may help others who would like to do something similar

Best regards to all keep posting. Brian (Jake8090)