OSnap Question

Hello All

concerning Object Snap...

I have three rectangles, which I want to align. So, I draw a line, and move the rectangles up to the line. I'm having troubles snapping the rectangle end midpoint to just the straight line at any place on the straight line, it doesn't seem to find the line. What settings should I have OSNAP on? Currently I have the midpoint and apparent intersection checked.

Thanks

Lines will have endpoints and midpoints. Wouldn't those be obvious choices? Does all the geometry you are working with have the same "Z" elevation?

It's all 2D, if that's what you mean about Z elevation. I just like to draw a straight line, and then move my rectangles over to the line, because the rectangles are spaced correctly between each other. It would be nice if I can just snap the rectangle end to perpendicular to the line anywhere on the line.

Thanks

Use the ALIGN command and pick the bottom left hand corner of the first rectangle as your first source point and the bottom right hand corner of the last rectangle as your second source point. What you select as your destination points (need at least two) on the line itself is up to you. It could be the two end points or one endpoint and a midpoint. Take your pick.

Perhaps you only need the Endpoint and the Perpendicular Osnaps.

.....It would be nice if I can just snap the rectangle end to perpendicular to the line anywhere on the line....

Then you can do as you say.

Perhaps you only need the Endpoint and the Perpendicular Osnaps.

I tried this, and I must be doing something wrong, because when I grab the rectangle and drag towards the line (to align perpendicular) the rectangle never "snaps" to the perpendicular point on the line

Thanks

Align command works...sort of confused about the change scale based upon alignment points.

Thanks

Why would you choose to change the scale when it isn't what you want to do?

Why would you choose to change the scale when it isn't what you want to do?

Well, whats confusing to me is the "based upon alignment points" If my alignment points are on a line, drawn in the same scale, why would the question even come up?

Turn on object snap tracking, and polar tracking. Then you can select your rectangles, MOVE, select base point by clicking one of the grips on the rectangles. Drag the rectangles and simply hover over one of the end points or mid point of the line. Then move the cursor along the line, noticing that a tiny "X" will follow your cursor. The "X" is like a temporary Osnap. You can click in the rectangles anywhere along the line or not while the "X" is visible. You will also notice a tracking vector, a dashed line that develops between the snap you hovered over and the "X" that follows the cursor.

You will notice the vector and "X" will kind of LOCK on the line allowing you to snap exactly on the line anywhere along its length.

Do not use Ortho while using Object Snap Tracking. They don't work well together even though they are supposed to. Use Polar Tracking instead.

You will not see a Perpendicular snap unless you have established a point to be perpendicular from. A perpendicular line between your move basepoint and your line must be possible. It's that niggling annoying thing called geometry.

If you want to be able to snap to a somewhat random point on a line, or any entity, turn on the NEAREST snap.

I rarely use NEAREST, as it doesn't play well with most of the other snaps, as it is geometrically arbitrary, meaning it doesn't pay attention to the other snaps, because you are indicating a point of your own choosing in proximity to another object.

It sounds to me like MOVE is the way to go, as Eldon suggested.

As Dana pointed out, when you use any of these commands, if you have not specified a grip as a basepoint, they won't work, because the input is too ambiguous. There needs to be a defining BASEPOINT, typically, a grip.

Edited by Dadgad

If you want to be able to snap to a somewhat random point on a line, or any entity, turn on the NEAREST snap.

I rarely use NEAREST, as it doesn't play well with most of the other snaps, as it is geometrically arbitrary, meaning it doesn't pay attention to the other snaps, because you are indicating a point of your own choosing in proximity to another object.

It sounds to me live MOVE is the way to go, as Eldon suggested.

As Dana pointed out, when you use any of these commands, if you have not specified a grip as a basepoint, they won't work, because the input is too ambiguous. There needs to be a defining BASEPOINT, typically, a grip.

And the tracking I mentioned will provide a secondary basepoint to align from for your final snap.