Small Dimension Font

Hello All,

How do I change the default size of the dimension font, it's a little too small to read when I print the drawing

AutoCAD 2016

Thanks

Are you placing your dimensions in model space or paper space? I would suspect that it would be in model space since you said that the font is too small. If this is the case then you need to make your dimensions annotative so that they will be visible in paper space. The preferred method by most here is to place your dimensions in paper space so that your model space is not cluttered by dimensions plus other reasons.

The preferred method by most here is to place your dimensions in paper space so that your model space is not cluttered by dimensions plus other reasons.

Dimensions are in Model space. I've just always put them on a separate layer to not have the clutter. How do I make them annotative? Thanks

Associative is NOT the same as annotative. Annotative scaling applies to blocks, hatch patterns, text and dimensions. You should do yourself a favor and read up on the topic.

Please forgive ReMark's bluntness but this question is asked fairly often. You will need to go to the style manager for your dimensions. Once you open the manager dialog box you will see a text tab, click on that and you will see a drop down where you can select your style of text for your dimensions. Your 2 selections are Standard and Annotative. Select the annotative, then select the text height. This will determine your text height in paper space. Now you will have to select an annotative scale for your paper space but this has already been done when you selected your paper space scale since AutoCAD defaults to match the annotative scale and the paper space scale. Now once you have done all this check your text height in paper space then adjust it by modifying it with the style manager until it's to the height you want. Now that wasn't so hard was it. A word of warning, annotative objects are great for describing stuff in model space but if you mess up your annotative scale you will have fits trying to figure out what you did wrong and why your text or other annotative objects are not showing up in paper space. This is one of the other reasons why annotations are preferred in paper space rather than model space. Ok lesson over go have some fun you crazy drafter.

Any CAD tech worth his or her salt will investigate the usefulness of annotative scaling to determine whether or not it meets the needs of the company they work for. That means you start with educating yourself followed by real world testing and comparing results. While some of us may elect to place both dimensions and text in our layouts many more users feel these objects belong in model space thus the reason why AutoDesk added the annotative scaling feature. My advice is to experiment with BOTH techniques then make an informed decision that best suits your company's needs. BTW....I don't know of any reason why a tech would not want to make all dimensions "associative". Casio, do you know what "associative" refers to?

BTW...to utilize annotative scaling correctly one also must be making use of paper space layouts and viewports. Casio, are you familiar with either/both of those features?

Hello All,

How do I change the default size of the dimension font, it's a little too small to read when I print the drawing

AutoCAD 2016

Thanks

There's an old saying in Med School. "Don't look for Zebras just because you see hoof prints.

Your solution may be as simple as changing dimension styles to one meant for the scale you are plotting. Since you don't mention your software at all, I have no idea how to tell you where to change dim styles, or to edit the one you are using.

There's an old saying in Med School. "Don't look for Zebras just because you see hoof prints.

Your solution may be as simple as changing dimension styles to one meant for the scale you are plotting. Since you don't mention your software at all, I have no idea how to tell you where to change dim styles, or to edit the one you are using.

Ok this saying is confirmed I never heard it before but I asked my wife who is a Doctor and she said that this is indeed an old saying in med school, Which leaves me to wonder why is Dana playing around with AutoCAD instead of healing the sick and dying?

Ok this saying is confirmed I never heard it before but I asked my wife who is a Doctor and she said that this is indeed an old saying in med school, Which leaves me to wonder why is Dana playing around with AutoCAD instead of healing the sick and dying?
Never been to med school, or any other college. My daughter made me watch House one night instead of what I wanted to watch. :x Besides, as much of a fan of anatomy that I am, I prefer outside parts. Inside parts are mostly icky.

But my Sister-in-Law is a PA, and I have stayed in a Holiday Inn.

Edited by Dana W

Alright then, 2016 it is. In that case, hit this dropdown list below, on your annotate tab and see if there is a dim style that fits better. (do not tell me you don't use the ribbon, nobody in my class doesn't use the ribbon.) :P

Of course you could always execute DIMSTYLE and do the same.

Once you open the Dim style Icon display, if there is not one that works, click the lower right corner marker on the dimensions tile as shown in the second image, and make a new one or modify the existing one you are using. Once again, DIMSTYLE gets you the same dialog.

In order to get to what DIMSTYLE does from the dimension style icon display you have to click on Manage Dim Styles below the dimension styles icons.

dims.jpg

more dims.jpg

Edited by Dana W

If none of the above helps, I suggest you look for a zebra in the Annotative Dimensions jungle. Annotative dimensions are easy , but they look very very difficult for about a week or more, then bang, the concept hits you between the eyes. It is nothing more than getting your head around what scaling does, and why the dimensions do what they do when they are annotative. Simply put, in a viewport AutoCad scales everything BUT the annotative objects. They will always plot the same size in paperspace. So, one builds an annotative dimension style with EVERY part, including text height and all, exactly full size. So, if you want the text to be 1/8" high in paperspace, make it that high when building the dim style.