Fit viewport to an object

MastroLube

Hello everyone!

I've a little question.. Is it possible to fit a viewport to an object?

The scale has to be the same.

I've recorded a little gif to show the behaviour I want to obtain.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59532&cid=1&stc=1

Have I to write a little lisp or there is a command in autocad?

Thanks you for the help!

Dennis

fit to obj.gif

What's wrong with the way you have demonstrated above? I don't see that as being all that time consuming. On the other hand if you had an object shaped like that which I show below then I'd say it would be a bit (a tiny bit) more challenging but certainly not impossible.

MakeMyVP.JPG

Hello! I've 7 papers with 3 (or more) objects to fit for every project I do..

attachment.php?attachmentid=59534&cid=1&stc=1

As you can see in the gif in the 1st post, the way I use is not very fluent :)

Anyway I need a lisp, right?

1.png

Depends on your what you mean by the word "fit". I'm guessing you want nothing more than a rectangular viewport (smallest size possible) and not one that matches the outline of the object exactly. Is that correct?

Maybe you should take a look at Viewport master

It keeps (a visible) relastion between modelspace and paperspace.

Works good for 2D work.

http://u-cad.eu/apps/viewportmaster/

Thanks for this!

@ReMark yes, you're right!

I use to draw the boundary of my objects (it's always a rectangle) in the model space in order to fit them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59535&cid=1&stc=1

It will be very cool if there is a way to link the viewports to these rectangles in model space. Objects like the one in the gif can change over time..

Ok, I'm asking too much :D

2.png

Edited by MastroLube

You can pick two points work out centroid go to layout make a mview then use zoom c at a scale or if you want it to fit using a lisp. Manually why not viewport zoom c pick point, scale. or use zoom num/xp. You should have a pretty good idea of the scale required depending on the size of detail with experience.

Just me I make viewport, zoom it to about full object required then I check the number in the "viewports toolbar" this tells me the current scale factor so I can adjust. eg if it says 9.82 then I would type 10 in box and it would be 1:100 exact (metric) and just slightly adjust the viewport border if required, but its true plot scale ie like Robdraw.

Since setting viewports to not plot is standard pretty much industry wide. I see no value to this at all.
Exactly. Draw the rectangle (frame) in modelspace or even paperspace if you must have one, then with your viewport on a no plot layer it doesn't matter where the viewport is, as long as all the unwanted model images don't show, and the wanted ones do. This is probably why AutoDesk has never rushed to make a viewport alignable with osnaps. There's no real point in it.