AutoCAD Ultra Mobile UI

SEANT

I’m hoping to find a couple of AutoCAD users out there that have access to a tablet (Microsoft Surface, . . .), or 2 in 1, or convertible (Lenovo Yoga, . . .). Ideally, this touch capable devise will have a pen which allows for ‘hover’ functionality.

I’m developing an Add-in UI that tries to compensate for some of AutoCAD’s current mouse and keyboard focus, and allow for more mobile field work.

See these two screencasts to get a better idea of what I’m proposing:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/186cf7eb-293c-41e9-a99f-4734419914f9

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/screencast/Main/Details/89d3ee5d-0736-4092-aec4-8fcdf6d68316.html

I’m fairly close to a beta test release; if anyone is interested, and adventurous, let me know.

Seant know your work is great but could not the old old screen menu be used for a lot of this ? It was turned off by Autodesk but can be turned back on I found it great predefined info command line or input to lisps.

I was a big fan of the screen menu - it was AutoCAD's only Context Sensitive/Morphable interface for many releases. And I think you are right, it probably could be set up in such a way to allow for pen use. Finger use may be tricky, given the relative size of fingers, but that too may be accounted for in a highly customized menu.

In a way, that's what I'm proposing here; a premade,highly customized, highly specialized menu. It does not bring anything new to the table. The commands are all the same, everything can be accessed in a somewhat familiar fashion - at least for AutoCAD users familiar with the command prompt input. Everything is just spaced differently to facilitate touch and pen.

I guess if I really did want to be competitive with the Screen Menu I'd have to offer a way to allow individual users an ability to customize the interface, or button commands. Hmm, let me think about that.

Another feature I had considered for the Number Pad tab was to morph the presentation to offer Degrees/Minutes/Seconds input when AutoCAD prompts for angle. Are Degrees/Minutes/Seconds still used in any of the disciplines these days?

• 1 month later...
Another feature I had considered for the Number Pad tab was to morph the presentation to offer Degrees/Minutes/Seconds input when AutoCAD prompts for angle. Are Degrees/Minutes/Seconds still used in any of the disciplines these days?

Yep they do here.

P

Any one doing survey work still works in DDD.MMSS big hint there, much easier than ddd mm' ss" old HP calculators have a ddd.mmss button. Being able to have a small device for doing infield survey functions would be good.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...