Command Alias

brooksdesign

Hi, I rely on 2 letter alias to be productive. I would love to include the express tools into this format. Cant get my head around doing this, they dont execute. Pls advise, Thanks in advance for you advice.

Nothing to it, but to do it.

Using the AliasEdit command is probably the easiest way.

The acad.pgp - AutoCAD Alias Editor dialog will open.

To create a new ALIAS, click on ADD.

A new smaller dialog will open, wherein you will enter the NEW ALIAS which you want to create.

After you do that, you can either scroll through the list of commands, or much quicker just type in the command name (cannot contain spaces), in this case COPYTOLAYER.

When closing each dialog you will need to confirm your intention.

Then your .pgp will have been customized to include the changes, assuming that you confirmed your desire to do so.

A dialog may advise that the changes have been made, and will be available in your next Autocad session.

You don't need to shut down Autocad, just enter REINIT at the commandline, then click the PGP box in the dialog.

after you close that dialog your new Alias should be working.

See the screenshot for a visual.

I am partial to using multiple strikes on one key for most of my aliases.

My left hand default position, has one finger on the ESC key, and covers most of my frequently used aliases.

I really like taking advantage of the TILDE key, which I never need in my work, so a single click is MOVE, and a double click returns to Paperspace. :|

copytolayer alias edit setting.JPG

multiple strike aliases.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

My favourite is zzz or aaa. XT = extrim When testing lisps (defun c:aaa ()(load "programtest"))

My osnap 39 99 123 etc but uses defuns.

Cp v's 222 yeah I guess a little easier to type when using the hunt and peck typing method given distance between C & P

Double tilde really smart top left, but needs shift can we use `` ? will test. Yes it does !!

Actually BIGAL, I called it the Tilde, but what it is, is the TILDE key, whatever the lowercase item is, not sure.

Now I see, that you described what I actually have set, I misunderstood what you said, when I first read it.

I don't use a shift at all, , and just slide down one key from my default ESC position and click once or twice, for MOVE, or PS.

I am happier counting repeat strikes on a single key, rather than moving my hand position, or having to look for visual confirmation at the keys.

I use ZZ for the DIMSPACE command, as I frequently wish to align dimensions.

I have a wonderful lisp at ZZZ, which will reorient an off-axis 3D Solid to ortho, merely by selecting it. GP wrote it and posted it on the forum in 2014, it is excellent.

Thanks GP! :beer:

I don't use it anymore since ProSteel does all of the detailing, but I used to use it all the time, and really love it.

Definitely worth keeping handy, in case I am working with plain Autocad instead of ProSteel.

S is for STRETCH, SS is for SCALE, and SSS is for SELECTSIMILAR. X is EXTEND, XX is for EXPLODE, & XXX creates an XLINE. PP is PURGE, PPP is PRESSPULL.

I HATE taking my hand off the mouse, it breaks my rhythm, I want the mouse driving at all times. :|

Edited by Dadgad

Interesting Rob, it hadn't occurred to me that there might be such a thing as a capital Tilde, and a lower case Tilde. I have only ever used them in Spanish, thanks for the link! :beer:

Thanks very much for the advice. I love the esc key option. Question ?? I have traditionally held off modifying system files as I go to different businesses to draw. I take my own .lsp file on a portable hard drive. This would just mean if I modify acad.pgp I have to take that file with me as well. What is the 'tilde' key

Thanks again for the advice, Great Skill

The TILDE is the squiggly line ~ which is to the left of your 1, at the top of your keyboard.

As long as you are packing a hard drive already, just create the acad.pgp as you like it, and save it, and copy it to the hard drive, then you can use it wherever you are working.

Another one I would strongly suggest is saving an .svf (System Variable File), which will contain all of your prefered system variable settings.

That comes in handy when working on another machine, or when you want to restore your settings, or share them with a colleague.

SYSVDLG will open the System Variable Dialog box, where you can learn plenty about the program, and system variable options, just scroll down the list, or use your keyboard cursor, to cycle through them one at a time. Be warned, that is great if you are researching, but there are a hell of a lot of system variables in the software. Better to scroll to the area that interests you quickly, and then when you want to understand what a few of them do, just cycle through them with your cursor.

It sounds like you may use all the DEFAULT Autocad system variable settings, which is a personal choice, but if you explore a bit, you will likely see some other available options which would better suit your work style.

If you want to save your current system variable settings, just hit the SAVEALL button at the bottom of that dialog box, and name it accordingly, and put it someplace or places that are safe, and you will remember.

Down the road, should your sytem variables get altered by a poorly written lisp, or crah or something, you can hit the READ button in the SYSVDLG and browse to your personal settings.

Edited by Dadgad

Filedia 0 open no dialouge appears press ~ dialouge appears. Huh :lol:

Brooksdesign if your taking your lisps then why would you not have all your short cuts as defuns no need to amend acad.pgp

Filedia 0 open no dialouge appears press ~ dialouge appears. Huh :lol:

Brooksdesign if your taking your lisps then why would you not have all your short cuts as defuns no need to amend acad.pgp

BIGAL, did you mean to set it like that, your TILDE, that does not sound like default behavior, at least not in Vanilla?

Dadgad its always worked from way way back if you have dialouges turned off you press the ~ to force dialouge to open rather than exit and keep going with current command then I would reset filedia, staying with this post its FD for me. It may not work with every command.