Survey points into Volume report

PlazaSurveys

Hi, Ive been using LSS in the past but recently moved to AutoCAD Civil 3D,

I have carried out a survey on my Leica instrument and have the DXF file.

I have uploaded it to CAD but that's as far as I have gone.

I would like to create this survey into a volume report showing the quants.

Its a basic survey, a muck heap, bottom of bank points and then a circle of point for top of bank.

Any guidance would be appreciated as I'm slowly pulling my hair out as I'm not quite understanding surfaces and bounds etc...

Cheers Liam

Hi

You will have to create three surfaces. Existing ground (EGL), Surveyed surface (FGL) and a volumetric surface being the difference between EGL and FGL.

To load the survey, assuming the .DXF is a TIN, create a surface, goto definitions, drawing objects, right click and choose add. Select the relevant entities and you should have a surface. Somehow you will need to create the EGL surface. Once you have the two surfaces create the third but choose a volumetric TIN surface type. you should them be able to generate a volume report.

Like Spaj if you have a big pile of dirt on top of an existing surface, ok make 1st surface model from instrument data, create 2nd surface using EDIT and copy 1st. Then use the surface editing tools to remove the dirt pile you should have now an existing surface, then make 3rd surface using volume option.

There are different ways of making the two surfaces above is one method another is to use points include / exclude when making a surface, 1st is use All, 2nd is only use "Bank" points.

Cheers for both of your responses, have cracked it spot on thanks.

I don't suppose you know how to then turn my model into a 3D model showing the heap and maybe making it look textured like land? Have done it with triangles but struggling with anything else. Cheers in advance