Seamless pattern exports

rock1

In trying to export my hatch pattern to Adobe Illustrator so that I can create a seamless pattern in the latter software.

In order to do that, I make a square in Autocad, fill it with desired hatch pattern, and save the file.

I open the dwg file in Illustrator, select the hatch fill and make a pattern out of it. But unfortunately, it is not seamless. This is due to the placement of my hatch in Autocad.

How can I place my autocad hatch in the square so that I can easily export a seamless version in order to create a break free pattern in other software?

Please don't advise any third party paid software for conversion.

Make a pattern from the square and the hatch while in AutoCAD and adjust accordingly.

That's the trouble. How should I "adjust accordingly"? Is it a trial and error method that you are suggesting?

Please provide a screenshot so I understand better.

You would have to be the judge on that. I have no idea of the particulars of what you are dealing with as my mind reading helmet is broken. If you want more definitive suggestions, you will need to provide more information.

I need to position the texture in such a way so that I have a square (that is exportable as a pattern unit) which can be repeated vertically and horizontally to create a tiled seamless pattern in other software like photoshop and illustrator

SCREEN OF HATCH ISSUE.jpg

Explode and trim?

Use a wipeout to mask the portion you don't want to see?

But, how will the rest of the tiled hatches get connected to each other? [emoji58]

How were you expecting to connect them once you got a representative square ported over to Illustrator?

I will make a pattern swatch in Adobe Illustrator.

A perfect pattern swatch can be made if it is a square textured tile which can make a seamless infinite pattern when these tiles are laid next to each other vertically and horizontally.

When you made your hatch pattern originally in AutoCAD did you specify the origin point? See lower left hand corner of the Hatch dialog box where it says "Hatch origin".

Perhaps this particular pattern does not have a square repeatability.

Does your tile swatch have to be a square?

If you can post the hatch pattern, then someone could make a suggestion and provide a valid screen shot of what to do.

I see two options.

Make the pattern so that only full tiles and half tiles fit in the square.

Make the square a size that only has full and half size tiles.

In your example, look at the upper row and the right column. Eliminate the partial tiles by changing the scale of the pattern or the size of the square.

When you made your hatch pattern originally in AutoCAD did you specify the origin point? See lower left hand corner of the Hatch dialog box where it says "Hatch origin".

Yes, I did specify the origin point as the lower left vertex of the 1x1 square tile.

I see two options.

Make the pattern so that only full tiles and half tiles fit in the square.

Make the square a size that only has full and half size tiles.

In your example, look at the upper row and the right column. Eliminate the partial tiles by changing the scale of the pattern or the size of the square.

I made a grid of 3x3 = 9 squares of 1 unit length of each square.

Then I hatched with some patterns with scale set = 1.

I got what I wanted without any alignment. The hatch automatically placed the full pattern in between and a quarter on each corner of the 1x1 square tile so that I can easily export it.

Then I got some stone hatches, see the right portion of the image. If I set their scale = 1, I got very very dense fills. Then I set the scale to 0.07 and I got a visible stone hatch. I even set their origin to the bottom left vertex of the top left square in the 9x9 grid but did not get what I wanted

stonehatch_1.jpg

Is there a smart way to force autocad to align the texture in the way that I want? I mean, an alignment just what you advised, full texture in the centre, and quarter portion of textures on every corner of the square tile.

I think that AutoCAD patterns are not necessarily created for square repeatability. AutoCAD does not mind what shape is to be hatched.

If you want a specific dimension in hatching, you would do better to write the hatch definition yourself.

In the present case, because you only want a unit square, I think that it would be easier if you drew it out yourself. It is only a few lines!

SquarePattern.PNG

Why not just draw what you need instead of trying to force a hatch to be seamlessly repeatable? Sure, you can probably find that magic scale where the hatch will do as you would like within the given parameters but the numbers you use for one hatch won't necessarily work for another. The best way to do that would be to dive into the hatch definition and reverse engineer it.

I'm able to get the brick texture tile. I am unable to get the gravel texture tile as illustrated in the last posted screenshot.

One more thing. What is the use of setting the origin point? It just changes the location of the texture, that's it. What has "origin" as in the "starting point" has got to do with this option?

I want to export the hatch tile unit to Adobe Illustrator and make it as a pattern within Illustrator (pattern fills) instead of full hatched area which behaves as just linework and makes illustrator files heavy.

I'm able to get the brick texture tile. I am unable to get the gravel texture tile as illustrated in the last posted screenshot.

Again, you need to determine where the pattern starts repeating and set the scale so that length fits in the square or make the square fit the extent of the pattern before it starts repeating.

What if you delete the square after you create the hatch then export it.

It doesn't work out either. The situation still remains the same in Illustrator.