Problem with my cursor in 3D

Richard Daugird

Not really sure how to phrase my question, so I took a screen shot. Basically my crosshairs are not matching my UCS in the X and Z directions. I did some searching, and it was recommended that I set my snap style to Isometric.

The snipping tool didn't allow me to take a screen shot showing the actual crosshairs; the three red lines were drawn in ortho. Hope this makes sense.

Have you tried using the Dynamic UCS feature? The other option would be to change the direction of the crosshairs manually via the UCS command. A third option would be to use the VIEWCUBE.

Setting the SNAP style to Isometric really applies to working in 2D not in 3D. In 2D with the snap style set to isometric one controls the three isoplanes (top, right and left) using the F5 key to toggle through them.

Not really sure how to phrase my question, so I took a screen shot. Basically my crosshairs are not matching my UCS in the X and Z directions. I did some searching, and it was recommended that I set my snap style to Isometric.

The snipping tool didn't allow me to take a screen shot showing the actual crosshairs; the three red lines were drawn in ortho. Hope this makes sense.

Do not set the snap style to Isometric if you are working in 3D, that will not work at all.

The cursor in an Iso view will look that way but it is correct.

Oops....AutoCAD 2002. Yikes!

The use of the Dynamic UCS should be covered in your Help file. Best bet for the time being is to set the crosshairs orientation manually via the command line.

Type UCS at the command line then press the Enter key.

At the first prompt re: Specify origin of UCS...type the letter "X" (without the quotes). Press Enter.

At the next prompt re: Specify rotation angle...type 90 (or accept default if it is already 90) then press Enter. Did you crosshairs reorient?

Type UCS at the command line then press the Enter key.

At the first prompt re: Specify origin of UCS...type the letter "X" (without the quotes). Press Enter.

At the next prompt re: Specify rotation angle...type 90 (or accept default if it is already 90) then press Enter. Did you crosshairs reorient?

That worked, thanks! Wonder why I must do it manually? A glitch between 2002 ACAD and Windows 10?

The Dynamic UCS feature was not added until AutoCAD 2007. You're version of AutoCAD is a bit long in the tooth is it not? 2002 was introduced in June of 2001...15 years ago. The ViewCube was included in AutoCAD 2009. Seems you missed both of those trains.

Check your Toolbars...you might find something that helps. Look for anything to do with the UCS.

Yeah last time I was using AutoCAD on a daily basis was at an engineering company in Houston, I think we had 2012. I use it now infrequently; I work for a charity fundraising organization, and there is no way we could justify $5000+ for software I would not use much. We have custom BBQ trailers I design, build, and maintain with three helpers, and of course volunteers. I no longer have access to the latest and greatest, someone gave me an old copy. Wish Autodesk would donate a new copy!

If anyone has a later version they would like to donate, hit me up.

You could always look at one of the AutoCAD clones which are far cheaper and offer the same functionality. I'd recommend Bricscad (there are three different versions).

The only free CAD program probably worth mentioning is Draftsight by Dassault Systemes (makers of Solidworks) but it is strictly 2D.

I tried the Briscad 30 day trial and really liked it. But we are a non profit organization, and with the economy being what it is, I'll have to live with what I have.