Cannot edit!!!

slowsilver!

Hi,

I have been sent some AutoCad files but there are some 'objects' (lines & text) that I cannot edit - they just won't highlight when the cursor moves over them, but there are a few that I can. I've checked all layers to make sure that they're not locked or anything. Is there some other attribute I need to change? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Stephen,

Thanks for reply, but I've no idea what you mean! I'm totally new to AutoCad ('fraid I grew-up with TurboCad). Only got AutoCad to change text & line colours on drawings we're sent 'cause I and collegue are partially colour-blind and so many people seem to use yellow!

Hi Ho Slowsilver,

I ran off to do some experimentations, so I may have an answer for you.

If this is'nt it then I'm sure others will come up with the goods, just hang on a bit!

This site gets loads of keen users just bustin to help. It's a gas too!

An XRef is like a ghost drawing, brought into your current drawing for referencing. It acts like a block. Click any part of it and it highlights.

Passing your cursor over it is supposed to highlight it as well.

Only, in your case, it does'nt! LOL LOL LOL

So passing your cursor over certain entities fails to produce a highlighting effect.

OK! Check this out....

Go to TOOLS-OPTIONS-SELECTION TAB and hit the Visual Effect Settings bar.

In it you will see the Selection Preview Effect radio buttons & the Advanced Options bar. Hit this bar. In here you will find various options or filters to exclude certain entities from reacting to the passing over of your cursor.

Is your Xref ticked?

I suspect that some of the drawings you have been sent are acting as X reference drawings in other drawings.

OK! Check this out....

Go to INSERT-XREF MANAGER... and see if there is mention of names of drawings in here that you have received

Check this out….

Type in LIST and select the group of entities that do not highlight.

Does it tell you that its a block? What is the blocks name? A drawing name?

Check this out as well….

In the Layer Properties Manager dialog window does the layering list include names of layers with a drawing name preceeding a layer name & vertical bar in the name?

If none of the above does the trick then I too will poise with bated breath for replies!

Keep askin’!

All the Geordie Best from Norn Iron!

Stephen

I agree.. sounds like xrefs....

you need to go to the xref manager and bind them all to your drawing....then you can explode and edit them....

you need to go to the xref manager and bind them all to your drawing....then you can explode and edit them....

Whoa, Let's not get carried away here. You do have other options for editing xref's besides binding and exploding. You can Refedit the xref by double clicking on it or you can select the xref, right click and select "open xref" from the pop-up menu. Both of these options will allow you to edit the xref without merging it into your drawing. You can also change the color of the xref'd layers in the Layer Manager without touching the xref at all. Just select all of the layers that are yellow and change the color to something else.

If you bind your xref's and make changes to them, the changes you make will not appear in any other drawings that use these same xref's.

OK Chaps,

Seems like this old fool has been wasting your time. The answer was far, far more simple than the excellent help given. So simple, I'm loathe to tell, but since you guys were good enough to try and help, I will give you a laugh at my expense. Some of the drawing was in model space and some in paper space - the drawing opened in paper space and that's where I tried to edit it.

Thanks for your time - all of you!

• 3 years later...