2009 vs 2017 LT

kpolivier101

I've been using autocad 2009 for a good while, up until my computer crashed last week. I'm trying 2017LT and have seen some changes. I don't like the command bar on the drawing surface, so my question is can i move it?

Are you by chance referring to the floating "Command Line"? It is like that by default. All you have to do is click,drag it by the left end and dock it at the bottom of the window. You have to drag it pretty low before it docks. Then, lock it in place.

When using AC2009 my cursor on the when right clicked and drag left and down it would make a square or rectangle, on 2017 LT it does this crazy curvy line thingy that just bugs the poop out of me.

When using AC2009 my cursor on the when right clicked and drag left and down it would make a square or rectangle, on 2017 LT it does this crazy curvy line thingy that just bugs the poop out of me.
That is called the Lasso. You can make a selection rectangle by clicking one corner then clicking the other corner. The original click-n-drag window setting is still there, it just defaults to the lasso in the last three releases. You have to change the settings. The lasso is a very handy tool when selecting bunches of stuff inside of other bunches of stuff. It works just like the selection window but you can avoid accidentally selecting things JUST inside the rectangle by bending away from them.

Welcome to CADTutor! :)

I think in OPTIONS, if LT has them, you can probably turn off the lasso on the SELECTION tab?

Dana would know, he is on LT.

There are a lot of things that are new that i kinda like, and the reason I say "kinda" is because I learned autocad the hard way (self taught) and there were a lot of things that was difficult when learning AC2009, but i still designed and built 7 houses. I think I am just using this LT (free trial) as a stepping stone to AutoCad 2017 Arch.

Welcome to CADTutor! :)

I think in OPTIONS, if LT has them, you can probably turn off the lasso on the SELECTION tab?

Dana would know, he is on LT.

Yup. It is on the options dialog somewhere. I'd say where but I can't remember exactly, and I turned off my subscription because I haven't used it in four months. I wanted to upgrade to 17 anyway, so now when I need it again I'll just download the new version. Set the way it is out of the can, one click starts a selection window, release, and drag the resulting window to the other corner and click again. It's a can'o'corn. If you don't release the first click, you get the lasso.

There are a lot of things that are new that i kinda like, and the reason I say "kinda" is because I learned autocad the hard way (self taught) and there were a lot of things that was difficult when learning AC2009, but i still designed and built 7 houses. I think I am just using this LT (free trial) as a stepping stone to AutoCad 2017 Arch.
I find the geometric center snap incredibly useful.