Dynamic Blocks | Rotate Parallel Lines and Maintain Perpendicular Distance

bluebravo

Hello!

Quick FYI:

(1) I am a brand new forum member, but I have looked up CAD issues on CADTutor various times!

(2) I believe myself to be an intermediate level skilled CAD user

Goal:

I am trying to create a dynamic block of plywood that can be rotated, lengthened, and thickened. The block would contain two parallel lines and a hatch between them. I think I can achieve the lengthening with linear stretch and the thickening I can probably figure out, but I do need help with the rotation!

Please see image for desired result:

desiredresult.jpg

I have tried chained rotation actions, but the lines do not remain the same distance apart. Also, when all objects are rotated about the origin, the top line extrudes horizontally past the bottom (origin) which I do not want.

I am not sure how wordy to be with my explanation, so I will leave it at this for now. Let me know if I need to provide anything else! :)

I have tried to replicate the actions of the block you described but the one I make behaves as it should with none of the issues you described. Post a drawing with the block in it so we can get a better look at it.

I looked the block over and found that you had 2 rotation actions, 1 for each line. I deleted both actions and parameters and applied just one action and parameter and selected all the objects. I didn't try to figure out the stretch just the rotation. open the block in the block editor and look at what I did.

dynamic block_plywood attempts.dwg

I had tried that but it results in the top line sticking out past the bottom one (please see image) which I do not want. So regardless of what angle the lines are rotated I want to top line to start directly above the start of the bottom line, while still maintaining the perpendicular distance apart.

unwanted.PNG

Thank you for your time!

If you look both lines maintain the same distance apart and the same length. Which I thought is what you wanted but now that I see what you are trying to do I better understand what you really want. However I'm not sure if this is possible. You want to be able to rotate a block and then trim it to the geometry it's attached to. I've never seen this done I don't even know if a LISP routine can do this. Regardless if you do figure out a way it will not be an automatic thing you will have to preform some sort of function to make it work.

• 7 years later...
5 hours ago, jupa said:

I do not see where that block addresses the problem of trimming the extra line as per the latest request from the OP.

On 11/4/2016 at 3:32 PM, bluebravo said:

I had tried that but it results in the top line sticking out past the bottom one (please see image) which I do not want. So regardless of what angle the lines are rotated I want to top line to start directly above the start of the bottom line, while still maintaining the perpendicular distance apart.

unwanted.PNG

Thank you for your time!

A bit of maths given angle and thickness can work out a new insert point for say insert point.  Needs to be part of say pick 2 points lisp. Will leave if for some one else.

Edited by BIGAL