Make current viewport active when doubleclicking with multiple viewports

OMEGA-ThundeR

Hi,

This is a problem i encouter for years but never minded it very much. But perhaps i do something wrong over all these years so i would like to know if there is a better way.

Question:

When i have a layout/paperspace with multiple viewports, i zoom in on the one that was created after the first viewport, double click in it and the first/main viewport is activated. I have to zoom out further as much as needed for showing the boundary of that viewport and then i can click in it to activate it.

Internet learns me that ctrl+R switches to the next active viewport based on the creation time.

The problem is that this 'shortcut' is way to complicated for a simple action.

Why doesn't the viewport i double click in goes active if this isn't the first viewport created and when i am zoomed in not showing the boundary of that viewport?

I hope i made the problem clear and can tell me if there is a better way (besides activating that particular viewport when zoomed out).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• OMEGA-ThundeR

• Dadgad

• Ski_Me

Ctrl+R is too complicated? With viewports on the top of each other the chances of the right one getting activated are 50%. There are no easier solutions once you are in the VP.

If i double-click within a viewport i don't want to move my hand to the ctrl+r combination. So yeah, that's complicated :P

Viewports aren't on top of each other though, just seperate views of an 3d object spread out over an pace of (virtual) paper :).

If i double-click within a viewport i don't want to move my hand to the ctrl+r combination. So yeah, that's complicated

You don't have to move your hand for the Ctrl+R combination. Your left hand should already be in position. You just move your pinky finger to the Ctrl key and your index finger to the R key. It's not complicated at all, and as rkent mentioned, there is no easier solution that I am aware of.

In the CUI you will see that Ctrl+R is a defined command with the macro being ^V

You can drag that to the Command Shortcut menu and other Shortcut Menus, but you would have to right click and pick the command. Is that easier or just as complicated?, I don't know but you should have enough information to make a shortcut of your choice.

You don't have to move your hand for the Ctrl+R combination. Your left hand should already be in position. You just move your pinky finger to the Ctrl key and your index finger to the R key. It's not complicated at all, and as rkent mentioned, there is no easier solution that I am aware of.

What if your missing your pinky finger because you pissed of a mob boss in the Yakuza and your index finger was bitten off in a horrible fishing accident?

What magically uncomplicated command are you looking for exactly?

i'm not looking for any command's or shortcut keys at all :unsure:.

I just want to activate the viewport i am clicking in and not when i doubleclick in a viewport that the first created viewport in that layout goes active.

If the situation is unclear i can show it with a video if needed.

You aren't looking for a command? And you aren't looking for a keyboard shortcut? Magic doesn't appeal to you. So, I'm guessing you want to know if there is a system variable (that can be changed) which somehow controls what is activated depending on where you double-click?

I have dozens of drawings where multiple (upwards of 16) viewports have been utilized in a layout. If I zoom in on one particular (any one, doesn't matter) and double-click in it THAT'S the viewport that goes activate not the very first one created when I laid out the drawing. I am unable to reproduce what you say is happening. How did you do it?

Sorry, but I can't reproduce that particular affect and have no idea how to.

And this happens in every drawing you've created that utilizes multiple viewports in a layout?

He is putting a viewport inside of a already created viewport. Like this.

I don't think so unless he was confused.

OP said, "Viewports aren't on top of each other though, just seperate views..."

If one viewport is overlapping another then isn't it technically "on top"? And if one viewport is completely surrounded by another isn't one of the two viewports technically "on top"?

He could end all doubt/confusion by attaching an actual .dwg file to his next post (an image file does us no good).

I am just going by the behavior which is described.

I agree whole heartedly, a sample dwg exhibiting this behavior is the missing bit of the puzzle.

It wouldn't be so obvious if they were identical.

Identical as in the same size? One viewport basically fully obscuring a second viewport? Why would anyone do that?

PEBCAK or OIE

It wouldn't be the first time.