Automate Block Creation Macro

wgtkna

Curley question for all you AutoCAD macro masters out there.

I have an issue where I need a macro that automates the repetitive process of making an AutoCAD block.

Im often tasked to create cut files for manufacturing processes. These cut files are generally closed polylines that contain a part number in the form of single line text & various other geometries contained within the boundary of the closed polyline.

My normal workflow to create a single part is

1. Double click on the part number which is AutoCAD single line text to bring up the text editor

2. Highlight & copy the part number onto the clipboard (ctrl+c)

3. Escape out of the text editor

4. Bring up the AutoCAD block pallet (“block” or “b” command)

5. Paste the copied part number into the block name field

6. Select a base point

7. Select the objects

8. Press Enter and im done with one part

I use this workflow for Three reasons,

1. It groups all the geometries nicely together

2. It throws up a duplicate part number red flag in the form of the AutoCAD redefine block prompt if I accidently have duplicate part numbers

3. It allows me to copy all parts elsewhere in model space and nest all the parts / blocks into sheets while still maintaining some order of the original parts. I end up with 2 instances of each part /block. 1 which is where I originally created it and a second instance which is nested in a sheet elsewhere in model space. If I need to go back to modify A part I can do that in the original instance area which is uncluttered and has the surrounding parts adjacent for reference. I find trying to modify parts after they have been nested difficult as they are often orientated at odd angles as a result of the nesting process.

I have made a short screencast of my workflow to illustrate should the above not make sense. You can view it on here https://youtu.be/b__oUKJ9zDQ

While some people may not think my process to tedious I tend to go a little crazy when some of my assemblies are getting up to 1000 parts.

It would be great if I had a Macro that automated steps 1 through 10 above that pauses for user input at steps 1, 6 & 7.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi maratovich

The base point varies fro block to block so I would need to specify that for each block.

you second question "The text is always only one thing?" I dont fully understand so forgive if the following dosnt answer your question.

The text varies for each part as each part needs its own unique part number. There is often other text geometries contained in the block, these are usually instructions for the manufacturing team. I could if you like make the part number on its own unique layer. perhaps call the layer "Part Number" so when i select all the geometries to make up a block the only item on layer Part Number is the block name?

Hi maratovich

There is often other text geometries contained in the block, these are usually instructions for the manufacturing team. I could if you like make the part number on its own unique layer.

Yes, that's what I was asking.

I could if you like make the part number on its own unique layer. perhaps call the layer "Part Number" so when i select all the geometries to make up a block the only item on layer Part Number is the block name?

I'll try to do.

BlockCreator.zip

Hi maratovich

Impressed!!!!!!!!!! Your BlockCreator v2 works flawlessly! You have even built in the ability to change the layer name the part numbers reside on. great foresight on your behalf. I cant thank you enough.

Is this sort of service something you provide professionally? if so im happy to employ your services on a professional financial basis in the future.

Let me know your contact details. you can find my contact details at http://www.cadprojects.com.au

Regards