Question

Pedr

Hi I am hoping that someone can help me. I am currently studying a AutoCad course. One of the question that i need help with is : What are the key differences in the CAD drafting process used to create Single and Multiple Viewport drawing? Explain the reasons for these differences.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• wallmaxx

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this question refers to the existence of the idea of 'paperspace' or 'sheets'? Is it multiple choice? What options do you have..? ;-) someone should know.. Good for AU ;-)

I though the ability to read the bolt size of the head would be usefull in a really zoomed in viewport. Not to mention in the elevation how long is it. There is some hints in that message.

I didn't see a single "please" in your post.

What do you know about viewports?

I draw house plans, so my pages have to convey information in a logical and complementary layout. I will have as many viewports as I need on each sheet to create the paper space page I want.

It might seem difficult at first but you'll get it.

Take a piece of paper and hand draw a quick title block on it. Then cut a rectangle out of the middle of the paper. Now hold up the paper and look through the cut out at something. Congrats, that's a viewport. Can you see the value of having enough different views of something on your paperspace?

Good luck.

I didn't see a single "please" in your post.

As far as I'm concerned, the first sentence of the OP was a polite way of asking for help and the sarcasm in the rest of your post was also uncalled for.

As far as I'm concerned, the first sentence of the OP was a polite way of asking for help and the sarcasm in the rest of your post was also uncalled for.

Gee, I don't know. Looks like a direct test question.

One of the question that i need help with is : What are the key differences in the CAD drafting process used to create Single and Multiple Viewport drawing? Explain the reasons for these differences.

"Explain the reasons for these differences."

That seemed odd to me so I created a scenario, one that made viewports make sense to me quite a while ago. Once the guy/girl gets viewports, he/she will be able to successfully answer that question.

I thought I was helping. But there's always someone who doesn't get that and feels necessary to try and be some forum cop or self imposed feelings protector. Too bad that frank discussion can't be had. I thought this would be a great place to exchange ideas. I guess only a certain type of posting technique is preferred.

Cool enough. Thanks. And this is only my 3rd post.

Gee, I don't know. Looks like a direct test question.

This is the first sentence that I was referring to:

Hi I am hoping that someone can help me.

Maybe you missed it?

Cool enough. Thanks. And this is only my 3rd post.
Rob is our resident pot stirrer and mis-interpreter of context. Don't mind him. :)

Even though it's your third post, stick around for a while, this is a good group here and Rob is still valuable to the community. My opinion is this: when I see people in the year 2016 just now signing up to learn AutoCAD by taking a course, I tend to cringe a bit. PDF Viewers have more intuitive funtionality than AutoCAD on some things. Industries have moved on from AutoCAD and while it's still needed for now, in short time you will not gain employment on AutoCAD alone. It will be a must to know something other than AutoCAD. I feel it's wasted efforts, although it's hard to realign an industry that has held AutoCAD at the centerpoint for as long as it has been.

-TZ

I'm not sure what there is to misinterpret about, "I didn't see a single "please" in your post." It sounds condescending to me and undeservedly so.

As to the rest of his post, it didn't even address the differences between single and multiple viewport drawings, which was the question.

I'm not sure what there is to misinterpret about, "I didn't see a single "please" in your post." It sounds condescending to me and undeservedly so.

As to the rest of his post, it didn't even address the differences between single and multiple viewport drawings, which was the question.

Read into whatever you like. Was please so hard to ask? No. Is it anywhere in the post? No

The guy posts a test or take home term paper question. I am all for helping someone LEARN something, but this guy wanted specific answers to a required question. In my book, that would be like posting a drawing assignment and asking you, Rob, to draw it for me. It seems to be a trend these days. Get others to do your work for you.

He could have thought a bit and asked for knowledge rather than just answers to get his test question done with minimal effort on his part.

As for OP you imply I am wrong for not answering his question completely. Where is your answer to complete his assignment. Nope. You just comment on my post. You have to have more in life, right?

I look forward to learning LISPs and the such here. And like I said, I'll help when I know something of value.

I spent 2 decades running a framing business, 6 years in the Army (enlisted and commissioned) and now I started my second business as a CAD service. I'm sure something will crop up that I can help with. Until then I will study and learn all I can from the autocad experts here.

--

Mike

I am sorry if i have given the impression that i want someone else to answer the question for me that was never my intention. All i was after was some ideas and some guidance where to look.

Pedr: What kinds of drawings have you been asked to create in your AutoCAD class? When you refer to single versus multiple viewports are you referring to paper space layout viewports?

Edited by ReMark

Was please so hard to ask?

My point is he did ask politely. Was that not good enough for you?

If you are looking for pleases and thank yous, you would be better off at the Miss Manners forum.

Edited by RobDraw

It might seem difficult at first but you'll get it.

Take a piece of paper and hand draw a quick title block on it. Then cut a rectangle out of the middle of the paper. Now hold up the paper and look through the cut out at something. Congrats, that's a viewport.

If that's not sarcasm, I don't know what it is.

The OP was asking for a comparison of multi-viewport and single viewport dwgs. Not a definition of what a viewport is. Obviously, there is an understanding of what a viewport is for the question to be asked. The above quoted statement was unnecessary at best, downright insulting at worst.

... and I'm the bad guy?

Rob is our resident pot stirrer and mis-interpreter of context. Don't mind him. :)

Even though it's your third post, stick around for a while, this is a good group here and Rob is still valuable to the community. My opinion is this: when I see people in the year 2016 just now signing up to learn AutoCAD by taking a course, I tend to cringe a bit. PDF Viewers have more intuitive funtionality than AutoCAD on some things. Industries have moved on from AutoCAD and while it's still needed for now, in short time you will not gain employment on AutoCAD alone. It will be a must to know something other than AutoCAD. I feel it's wasted efforts, although it's hard to realign an industry that has held AutoCAD at the centerpoint for as long as it has been.

-TZ

Try a job search at the Cadalyst website using the criteria of "Revit" + "Texas" then try the same search using "AutoCAD" + "Texas". You'll find 492 listings for the first and 1,572 for the second. Somebody still wants to hire people who know how to use AutoCAD. Funny that.

Try a job search at the Cadalyst website using the criteria of "Revit" + "Texas" then try the same search using "AutoCAD" + "Texas". You'll find 492 listings for the first and 1,572 for the second. Somebody still wants to hire people who know how to use AutoCAD. Funny that.
Did I say Revit? Oh wait, I didn't :)

Revit-only is not was I was referring to. AutoCAD vs all other industry-specific CAD software is what I was referring to. And one industry can't move on from AutoCAD because there's not an alternative (that I know of) which is Civil (including Microstation). So if that's your industry, you're good to go. Nice try thought. Run that search again, but correctly this time, in five years and lets see where AutoCAD stands again after we exclude civil as a search criteria.

-TZ

I am sorry if i have given the impression that i want someone else to answer the question for me that was never my intention. All i was after was some ideas and some guidance where to look.
No problem Pedr. We're here to help. Let's start over.... Try to answer this yourself in your next reply the best way you know how. We'll certainly assist you in clearly understanding the answer to this question, but first we'd all like to see what your attempt to answer it would be.

-TZ