3D conical hexagon

george74

Hello!

I am total amateur in ACAD (still using 2000 edition), but it serve me well.

But now I cam e to problem I can not solve - any help will be higly appretiated.

I wish to make 3D object for my CNC router software - the object is CONICAL HEXAGON (it can also be conical box or conical cylnder etc).

By conical I mean that bottom surface is larger then upper surface. Since I am not sure if this make sense I draw sample in ACAD - it is enclosed.

On left is straight 3D hexagon I know how to draw - "6 corner polygon" command and then command "extrude". No problem.

But if I want upper surface to be smaller and desing of hexagon conical I come to an end street - to be clear I draw something in ACAD that could explain what I mean ... Please look at the right thing on thepicture, but do know that this is not 3D object, it is nearly sample what I am looking for.

Can anybody please help? This has been killing for me for a long time now.

Thank you in advance, Gregor from Slovenia

forum.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• george74

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• paulmcz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Autocad 2000? Ok, I'm not really sure what commands are available in that old version, but when you run the Extrude command, do you get any options? Specifically "Taper Angle"?

Run the Extrude command and watch your command prompt. After you select the hexagon and hit enter you should get some options. If "Taper Angle" is available, try using that.

I'm not really sure what commands are available in that old version, but when you run the Extrude command, do you get any options? Specifically "Taper Angle"?

Taper angle is available in A2000

Hi, kind people :)

Thank you so much for this ... I can not belive how easy it is once someone shows you. It worked in no time, but it was driving me crazy before.

Thanks again, both of you!!!!!!

All the best, Gregor

Welcome to CADTutor George74. :)

Another easy way to do this, in later versions is as follows.

After creating your Hexagon base, preferably it is a closed polygon.

Use the OFFSET command, and read the commandline prompts.

Select your hexagon base and specify the Offset distance, then click either inside or outside of it, to define the direction for the offset.

Now you should have two concentric hexagons, on the same plane.

Using an Isometric perspective, so you can better see what you are doing, MOVE one of them along the Z Axis, however far, and in whichever direction you wish.

Now try using the LOFT command, read the commandline prompts, and you will learn another way to do it.

I attached a screenshot. I copied the smaller hexagon up, before lofting, which is why you still see the smaller hexagon on the base plane, instead of moving it, as I described previously.

There are lots of good tutorials available on the Tutorials tab, to help you learn the ropes.

Have fun. :)

Loft a hexagon.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

I think that height and angle of taper are all you need when using AutoCAD 2000.

LOFT came later.

Thanks Eldon, no need to confuse Gregor. I started on 2009, was not aware of that. :beer:

Hi, Dadgad, thansk for posting very interesting answer. Unfortunatlly Eldon is correct, my 2000 ACAD does not know command LOFT. I guess it will be time to think about upgrading to 2001 version :)

Thansk again to all for your time, Gregor

The way others have suggested is actually easier than the LOFT technique which I had erroneously suggested.

I just wanted to open your eyes to other very useful modeling commands.

I can see from your screenshot, that 2000 does have toolbars.

I can't see your toolbars well enough to tell, but if you have 3D Modeling and Solid Editing toolbars, turn them both on, and explore the different commands on them.

READING the commandline prompts is incredibly important, as it will lead you to the numerous different options available.

Edited by Dadgad

Thanks, Dadgad ... I zoomed out screen so I can now see full commandline - so far I did not put so much attention on. Will keep an eye on it for future :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody!

You have been so helpfull some time ago about my tapering problem - I am still very thankful.

And please do not think that I am going here the easy way and write here as soon as I came to a problem - I have been dealing with following hexagon issue for quite some time. Unsuccsesfully I am afraid. Perhaps you might again be so kind to give me some pointer? Thank you!!!!

What I am trying to do is draw in ACAD 2000 3D objects for my CNC router (I am making wooden parts for fountain pens).

This time I wish to make (tapered or straight) hexagon, but not as simple as mentioned in my first email, but in a way that top would be rottated compared to bottom for certain angle. Let's say 60 degress.

Since this might read strangely, I have found few photos on web showing the fountain pens I wish to make.

Photos:

1. Heagon straight photo I am Ok wth.

2. But pen by Visconti has surfaced kind of curved in a way as a coil.

Is there any way I can draw this in ACAD?

I do not know any other software for drawing objects, so I would prefer to stay in ACAD.

For any advice I thank you in advance.

Sincerly, Gregor

pen-Hexagon straight.jpg

Visconti pen curved.jpg

Tapering Hexagon.jpg

Hi!

My English is apperantly on even lower stage then ACAD, sorry ...

Yeap, twist sounds more correct. Is there a way to do this in old versions of ACAD? Like really old? Like in ACAD 2000? :)

Thanks so much for answer, ReMark

I don't exactly recall. For a moment there I thought the option to twist was available but now I am doubting myself. In versions that came later I would probably make a copy of the shape above the original, rotate it slightly (ex. - 15 degrees) then use the LOFT command. I'll have to see if I have my old AutoCAD 2000 book somewhere around my office to check on the Twist option (if it ever existed).

Sorry, could not find any reference to a twist option as it pertains to the Extrude command. Most likely I had it confused with the taper option.

You could replicate the feature using four lines and the EDGESURF command if you don't mind working with surfaces. Once you've done one side it would be just a matter of copying and rotating to fill in the other five sides.

Here's what I was previously referring to re: EDGESURF. First image taken using a 2Dwireframe visual style; second image used a Conceptual visual style.

TwistedHex1.jpg

TwistedHex2.jpg

Hi, me again :)

I finaly got it ... I think ... but not fully.

I was able to copy top hexagon from bottom, rotate it and draw surfaces ... I even manage to copy and rotate it all around the hexagon .. But now I am again stucked. Would you please take one more moment to help? :oops:

This think now is of course not solids, it need bottom and top surface. Is there any way I can make this happens?

I have tried to use EDGESURF here also but it does not work on more then 4 edges??

I would just like to make a solid out of this surfaces (and perhaps get more new version of acad) and export it to .STL

THANK YOUUUUUUUU

PS of twisted thing.jpg

FYI - This is how one can take a six sided polygon and create a surface.

HexagonAsSurface.jpg

As regards your "solids" problem please attach a copy of a drawing that only contains the twisted hexagon shape you have shown above. We need a .dwg file not an image file. An image file at this time would be useless. Understand?

It is possible, in later versions of AutoCAD that have the SURFSCULPT command, to convert a "watertight" object comprised of multiple surfaces to a solid. In the example shown below the object on the left (magenta colored) is comprised of ten surfaces (6 sides and 2 pieces each for the top and bottom). The object on the right (gray colored) is the result obtained after running SURFSCULPT.

Surf_to_Solid test.jpg

Hi!

Thanks so much for your patiente, really appretaited.

Thansk for the tip on hexagon surface, it worked here too :)

But just when I thought that I was finished damn thing did not want to be exported as .STL (it said NO SOLIDS SELECTED).

I guess Autocaf still does not take this as an solid object?

But for sure I will asap move to higher autocad version. In 2000 is simply to much work to do by hand.

Thank you once more, Gregor

twist.dwg