New User

fattony

Hi

I'm new to CAD, my only use is to create zone plans for fire alarms and maybe add device numbers next to the smoke detectors etc, I have no intention to create a drawing from scratch at this stage.

I'm using AutoCad 2017 Student Version

I have a couple of questions

1) I have a template which I use for my zone plans, so I have a floor plan in another file, I'd like to copy the floor plan into my template but I cant work out how to do this, could anyone advise?

2) I must be missing something with the hatch tool, I select the pattern and the colour but when I move the cursor to create the hatch it either does nothing or fills the entire floor plan, what am I doing wrong?

Many Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fattony

• ReMark

• Cad64

• Ski_Me

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can insert the drawing of the floor plan into your new drawing and it will come in as a block. Explode the block if necessary to make edits.

Or, you can xref the floor plan into your new drawing.

Or, you can copy/paste the floor plan into your new drawing (you'll have to have the floor plan drawing open to do this).

Re: hatch problem. I think it would be best if you attached a copy of the floor plan drawing to your next post so we can have a look at it. Let us know what area(s) you want hatched and what pattern to apply so we can run our own test on the drawing. An image is of no value to us; it must be a .dwg file. Got it? Good. Do it. Experienced CAD techs are standing by to assist you. Don't disappoint.

Awesome I'm not the only fire alarm guy here anymore. Remark is right xref the floor plan to your drawing. The reason for this is because floor plans tend to change like adding or moving doors, walls, and other stuff. It's easier to edit a xref than insert a drawing in then have to explode it not knowing what might happen. I have a ton in information I could give you about developing fire alarm drawings just ask.

One step at a time, if I may start with hatching, this is my process:

1) Open the file

2) Select Hatch

3) Pick Pattern & Colour

4) Select 'Set Origin'

4) Highlight the area I want hatched

And this is my result (attached)

DWG is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhangq3h95oxch7/9669.20-30%20Upper%20floors%20-ASBUILT.4.3.16.dwg?dl=0

Appreciate any help you can give, we have a CAD guy but sometimes when you want to make a couple of simple changes and he's busy for 2 weeks its frustrating so I wanted to see if I could edit some bits myself

Thanks

hatch.jpg

I Googled Xref but you will see in my dwg I want to take the floor plan copy it a 4 times (Ground - Third Floor) and paste it into my own template.

Correct me if Im wrong but xref will attach the entire drawing to my chosen drawing and I'll be left with sections I dont want like their template? Would I just remove the sections I dont want?

Thanks

Edited by fattony

I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you tell me exactly what part of the overall drawing you are working on and the exact area where you want the hatch applied I'll give it a try myself.

I have one suggestion. Once you have created your viewport and decided what is going to be shown in it lock the viewport display so you do not inadvertently change the scale of the viewport.

BTW...has any attempt been made to clean up the drawing you received from the architect in terms of using such commands as Overkill, -Purge and Audit?

I basically want to hatch the stairwell 1 colour and the rest of the floor another

I also want to take that floor plan and put it on a different template

Thanks

Re: Hatch pattern. Were you attempting to do something similar to what I did for the office to the right? I used the hatch pattern you already selected. What is the basis for using this particular pattern? It seems kind of "busy".

Applyhatch.jpg

Typically you don't hatch a zone unless it's for firefighter direction. Most of the time a hatched area will indicate a high hazard zone for sprinkler systems. Anyway before you can do anything to your drawing you will need to strip down the original drawing to just the walls, door, windows, plumbing fixtures. Anything that can be moved goes. This can be done be turning off the layers that the walls and doors and other items you need are on. Then select everything else and delete. Once that's done and your happy with what you have create a new layer and call it FA-FLOR. Select all the geometry and place it on the new layer. You don't have to but I turn the new layer off and purge. You want to make sure you purge orphaned data and nested items. You may have to do it more than once since some blocks are parts of other blocks that will be exploded but not purged. You now have a clean leaner drawing to work with. Oh of course before you do anything with the original draw do a save as and call it something like floor plan fire alarm. Get you drawing to that point then come back here and we will tell you more fun things to do.

1. Open both drawing and copy & paste bewteen the two.

2. Only copy the individual floor plan and you will be able to hatch individual area of the plan. Seems like you were hatching the large rectangle enclosing all the floor plans.

Struggling with hatch, I can switch off layers and delete stuff I dont need but cant hatch.

Ive tried clicking hatch then select and draw in a section I would like hatched but it doesnt display

I then tried clicking hatch then pick point and click in the floor plan but the entire page gets hatched

Is it really that tricky?