Text issue on 3d surface

Ski_Me

This is the first time I have ventured into 3d modelling in quite some time. I created this 3d model of a basic fire alarm notification device. I have an issue of the text showing up when I render it. Need some help with this please.

P2R_P4R_CAD.dwg

That's because your text is sharing the same plane as the face of the box. Just move the text a fraction of an inch in front of the box and you should be able to render with no issues.

Out of curiosity, is this for BIM coordination purposes?

Yeah for some time now I have been lucky enough that most of my designs have been in the 2d world but there will come a time that I will have to move into the building information modelling world. I want my own blocks and templates to use so now is the time to get prepped for that. I use plain AutoCAD but I have MEP which is not Revit but shares a similar concept. Once I have my content created and all the low voltage stuff done I'll start work out of MEP then migrate to Revit. Worked with it before but very little.

If that's the case then you may need to construct your models differently. The floating text that I suggested is good for just creating renders, but for BIM, it will probably need to be attached to the model in some way? Or maybe you can apply a texture in Revit? I don't have any experience with BIM so Tannar would be the guy to help you with that.

Yeah for some time now I have been lucky enough that most of my designs have been in the 2d world but there will come a time that I will have to move into the building information modelling world. I want my own blocks and templates to use so now is the time to get prepped for that. I use plain AutoCAD but I have MEP which is not Revit but shares a similar concept. Once I have my content created and all the low voltage stuff done I'll start work out of MEP then migrate to Revit. Worked with it before but very little.
I would suggest fervently against a double-transition, first to AutoCAD MEP then to Revit, and instead just to directly to Revit. AutoCAD MEP is extremely robust and can be daunting and it would be a wasted effort since architects and structural designers in the AEC industry are all migrating to Revit anyways. When you have a comprehensive architectural and structural Revit model as your "background", then there is no question you want to be in Revit as well.

If that's the case then you may need to construct your models differently. The floating text that I suggested is good for just creating renders, but for BIM, it will probably need to be attached to the model in some way? Or maybe you can apply a texture in Revit? I don't have any experience with BIM so Tannar would be the guy to help you with that.
Navisworks handles Text and MText objects just fine. No texture is needed, especially since most BIM coordinators do not enable materials while in an active Navisworks model due to a performance hit, so they stick with a generic shaded mode. This 3D AutoCAD model would be just fine in Navisworks as it is built.

:)

Great advice guys thanks. I will reconsider my efforts to go with MEP and just start using Revit. I can figure out the geometry well enough it's the creation of families and related content for tables and calculations that I know will be hard. But I'm sure this forum will be here to help.