Constrain pin-in-groove

TorqueCAD

I've been searching Google for what feels like days now, watching YouTube videos and trying nearly every possible constrain combination that I know of, yet I'm no further than where I began. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this dilemma for me :D

I've attached a couple screen shots that with any luck will make the explanation easier to follow.

The goal is to constrain the pin to ride in the groove in the cylinder that has been made using the emboss feature. There is another cylinder that the pin will be constrained to (for ease of explaining I'll call it a bolt) so when the bolt is turned to the left, the pin and the bolt will ride up the groove and vice-versa.

I've tried the transitional constraint, played with the minimum and maximum limits along with every possible combination in the standard constrain menu but I've come to a dead stop.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated! Thank you! :notworthy:

Pin_Groove2.jpg

Pin_Groove1.jpg

It's been a while since I have done aerospace machining but if I remember correctly it's something like this. Imagine the drill goes in flush then rotates around and comes out flush. Pretty difficult to explain so attached are the files I drew up. Once you get a good groove you can use the transitional constraint and it works pretty well. Apparently we can't upload .iam files so it's all compressed into a zip.

Part2.zip

the files are in 2016 here's a video to show you what it looks like if you can't open.

kpyoung333, THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is great!

Do you know if the emboss feature will achieve the same effect?

No, they look eerily similar but the Transitional doesn't work with Emboss on a curved surface like the Extrude/Coil combo. I think the emboss command wraps the sketch to the face and skews it a bit, where the coil has a uniform width all the way through. Always try to draw parts like they will be machined. You will get lots of instances where the drawing is made in 2D (long time ago in a drafting department far far away) and they don't visualize how the tool will actually cut the piece, I used to have to make custom parts all the time due to cutting reliefs on screw machines (Decos, Tornos, Citizen, Tsugami). This would be drill in, rotate while extending, drill out. Not emboss/punch.

No, they look eerily similar but the Transitional doesn't work with Emboss on a curved surface like the Extrude/Coil combo. I think the emboss command wraps the sketch to the face and skews it a bit, where the coil has a uniform width all the way through. Always try to draw parts like they will be machined. You will get lots of instances where the drawing is made in 2D (long time ago in a drafting department far far away) and they don't visualize how the tool will actually cut the piece, I used to have to make custom parts all the time due to cutting reliefs on screw machines (Decos, Tornos, Citizen, Tsugami). This would be drill in, rotate while extending, drill out. Not emboss/punch.

I was able to get the coil figured out, but speaking of drawing parts as they are to be machined, I'm having a difficult time visualizing this being correct.

Where the coil meets the circular extrusions it doesn't appear to line up in a way that will make the path smooth for a tool to cut the part. It seems like the faces don't meet up correctly and it's actually representing how it is to be cut, if that makes any sense. I've also tried using slightly larger and smaller dimensions on the path that's used for the coil, still no luck having the faces line up.

I'm going to try experimenting with another idea I have for the groove. Any opinions or views on the picture?

asset.php?fid=56756&uid=164758&d=1480561060

Capture.jpg

Another way to draw is attached. Extrude holes, draw line perpendicular to hole from center, surface sweep line at height and angle, thicken. This allows for a good tangent constraint. Create plane on bottom of hole, constrain with min/max limits.

Assembly1a.zip

I did a sweep this time and it seemed to slightly improve. I'll have to do an experiment and have it machined. Thanks again kpyoung! Without you I'd still be digging through the weeds.

Capture2.jpg