Bricscad question

paulmcz

I need to work in Bricscad V15 for a while. I'd like to set it the way I am used to with Autocad. When I start the Bricscad, I need it to load my own template automatically. What and where is the default template that Bricscad opens automatically when it starts? Does it work the similar way as acad.dwt in Autocad? As this is a temporary situation for me, I don't want set up any user profiles or something like that. I just want to temporarily change the template it loads. It doesn't seem to be any of the 14 dwt template files, located in "...appdata\Local\Bricsys\Bricscad\V15\en_US\Templates" folder.

Can anybody give me a hint?

Thanks.

And just how did you determine Bricscad is not loading one of the default templates available?

Why do you "need" to work in Bricscad? Are you working temporarily in an office that uses Bricscad or are you running this on your own computer specifically for a special client?

Have you checked the template path? Wouldn't the path to a folder holding your own template have to be spelled out somewhere so Bricscad knows where to look?

And just how did you determine Bricscad is not loading one of the default templates available?

I tried all of them and compared the settings by drawing a few things, namely dimensions and text.

Why do you "need" to work in Bricscad? Are you working temporarily in an office that uses Bricscad........

Yes.

Have you checked the template path? Wouldn't the path to a folder holding your own template have to be spelled out somewhere so Bricscad knows where to look?

Yes, I can do that going though the wizard, but that is what I was trying to skip. I just wanted to open Bricscad and start drawing with all my setting already in there, like I am used to from Autocad, where I just put all my settings into acad.dwt.

Yes, I can do that going though the wizard, but that is what I was trying to skip. I just wanted to open Bricscad and start drawing with all my setting already in there, like I am used to from Autocad, where I just put all my settings into acad.dwt.

You may be expecting too much. Even though the programs are similar, I would expect to have to do at least some set-up. I would also, suggest that your questions are probably better suited for a BrisCAD forum, if you can find an active one.

Start a new drawing in Bricscad. Set it up as you would like it to be with your layer, text style, dimension styles, etc. then save it as a new template file to the same location all the templates that ship with Bricscad are located. Now go to the Bricscad equivalent of Options then find and set the default template file name NEW to the name of the template you just created. That should be it as far as the template file is concerned. As for "settings" are you referring to system variables?

You may be expecting too much. Even though the programs are similar, I would expect to have to do at least some set-up. I would also, suggest that your questions are probably better suited for a BrisCAD forum, if you can find an active one.

This is not a big deal. I was just wondering if someone who uses Bricscad, could give me a hint.

Start a new drawing in Bricscad. Set it up as you would like it to be with your layer, text style, dimension styles, etc. then save it as a new template file to the same location all the templates that ship with Bricscad are located. Now go to the Bricscad equivalent of Options then find and set the default template file name NEW to the name of the template you just created. That should be it as far as the template file is concerned. As for "settings" are you referring to system variables?

Thanks ReMark, I'll keep trying.

As for "settings" are you referring to system variables?

Yes, system variables like textstyle, dimension styles, linetypes, units etc.

Paulmcz,

I have attached a file showing you the template location on my system for V15.

To get to the attached dialog box, type settings on the command line and then in the box I have underlined type "basefile".

This will then show you what is in the Red Frame so you see where you need to put your own .dwt file.

You can also type in "startup" in the box I underlined and this will will give you a couple of choices to what Bricscad shows you when you first start the program.

If you need any more assistance please let me know and I will try to help.

Alternatively you can go to the Bricscad Forum https://www.bricsys.com/common/support/forum.jsp.

Choose which platform you need (Windows, Mac, Linux) and then post there, you will get help from users and people from Bricsys themselves.

Hope this helps,

Dahzee

Bcad Template location.png

It sounds like you want to do everything via system variables as opposed to actually creating a brand new template file. If that's the case then you are expecting to run a lisp routine to enable all the system variables?

No, not really. I have an empty drawing file (created a long time ago in Autocad) where all the settings (text style, dimension style, units, loaded linetypes, etc) already are. I thought that I could just open that file and save it as a default template (dwt) and that the next time Bricscad will start the program by opening that file. This is how I have it set in Autocad. For some reason, this doesn't work in Bricscad.

Paulmcz,

I have attached a file showing you the template location on my system for V15.

To get to the attached dialog box, type settings on the command line and then in the box I have underlined type "basefile".

This will then show you what is in the Red Frame so you see where you need to put your own .dwt file.

You can also type in "startup" in the box I underlined and this will will give you a couple of choices to what Bricscad shows you when you first start the program.

If you need any more assistance please let me know and I will try to help.

Alternatively you can go to the Bricscad Forum https://www.bricsys.com/common/support/forum.jsp.

Choose which platform you need (Windows, Mac, Linux) and then post there, you will get help from users and people from Bricsys themselves.

Hope this helps,

Dahzee

Thank you.

I already tried all that. It somehow doesn't work for me.

Paulmcz,

There is obviously something going on with how Bricscad has been setup on the system you are babysitting, so you can file a support request with Bricscad, even if you were only trialling the software they will still respond to support requests.

Either that or download the latest trial of V17 (I think the .dwg version is still the same), it doesn't overwrite your previous version and if this is only a temporary job for you as long as it takes less time than the trial allows you can get the job done.

Thank you guys. It is just a little annoyance. I can start with my template if I go through the start wizard. I will let you know what did the trick, if I will find out.

Thanks.