Architect changed the scale

bleeargh

So, I'm working a large addition to a civic center in Gillette, WY. It's for the electrical engineering side of the project. We (me and the electrical engineer) are working off of the xrefs provided by the architect. The architect decided at about the 75% submittal stage in the project to change all the projects scale from 1/8" to 3/32". I have all the viewports on every title block viewing the xrefs at 1/8". Now it's a simple matter to change the viewport scale to 3/32"(1/128xp), but aaaaaaalll the individual text, blocks, dimensions etc are still set up to viewed at 1/8" scale. The dimensions are an easy fix. The blocks I can modify and re-import. But the thousands of instances of text are not going to be an easy fix. It seems to me that I'm going to have to scale each text one by one throughout the ENTIRE project. Do you guys know of a way to globally change the size of a multitude of individual texts within the model space of a drawing? The good old scale command is going to need a point of reference and that's going to move all the text away from what each text is calling out based around the scale point. I would need to be able to use the insertion point of each individual text as the point of scaling the text to be viewed at 3/32" Is there a way to globally do this?

Not all. The annotative text within the dimensions and leader text are easily fixed. Most are individual sets of mtext describing a multitude of differing entities withing the drawing. For example, the outlets over a counter have an "above counter" text of "AC" by each outlet. Yeah I know, before anyone says it, it would be great if those were setup as part of the electrical outlet block. I'm stuck using the blocks set up by this particular engineer. That example is just the tip of the iceberg. The annunciators, candela callouts, panel designations, etc, etc are all individual sets of mtext.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few ways to handle this... using either QSelect or Filter, the Properties Palette and the Isolate Objects command.

Here's one example of my process and workflow when I do this a lot. I'll open QSelect, Object Type: Text, Properties: Height, Operator = [input Value] and click OK. QSelect will now select all the text at this height, and while it's selected you can use Isolate Objects, which will hide everything else, giving you an isolated view of all the selected text. This way you can see things more clearly and begin to select individual items, or pick+drag select everything, and in Properties you can change the height to whatever it needs to be. If the text / mtext base point is "off", before you change the height you can copy the isolated objects to a distant offset, make the changes, Block the entire selection then move it back in place. This way you can see the "differences" in text base points, and use the Ctrl+Arrow Keys to "nudge" them back to as center as you can. Select everything but the block, delete, explode the block and you're back in business.

It's a bit of a process but it saves a lot of time when things like this happen. Hope my description was clear enough.

-TZ

And I would use this time to really push for Annotative text and objects. It's very helpful in situations like this. But you still have to massage things in place, so it's not perfect. I'm wondering if this architect uses Revit and just sends you 2D DWG exports? Changing scale is easy peasy in Revit... almost no adjustments is needed between minute scale differences such as 1/8" to 3/32".

tzframpton........you da MAN!

Thanks you! That saved hours worth of tedious work. I still get to minutely move each text around some but that's better than the alternative. What a great forum!

At the large MEP consulting firm that I work at, we would never change the scale midstream just because the architect did. I did that to a project, made all the adjustments, and got in "trouble" for it because of the time it took to do it. In fact, we would never use 3/32", even at the onset because our floor plans tend to get quite congested at 1/8".

I've been ripped for this before but in your case I can see where this might work. I've come across a similar situation before where my text and blocks were set for on scale only to need them for a different scale. If you look at the bottom of the screen while in model space you will see the scale for your annotative objects usually set at 1/8th. Now go to a layout and click on your view port, right click and select properties if your view port is locked unlock it change the view port scale to 3/32 and your annotative scale leave it at 1/8th. I do this all the time when I have big drawings that don't fit on D size sheets and I have to size up my sheets. From what you posted it sounds like you found a solution. When you have a chance try this method and see if it works for you. I do fire alarm design and it sounds like you are working with a fire alarm design as well cause you were talking about candela settings and annunciators.