Not understanding something with part names here

ColinPearson

I have what seems like a stupid question... I created a part template called CWPpart.ipt which I have been using to model numerous different parts as I work through a book on IV I bought. In this template, I called have the name WIDGET1 which I *think* I renamed from within the tree. So, my template name and the name at teh top of the tree don't match. So, to make stuff, I open the template, model the thing in question then Save Copy As some new name like Bearing.ipt or BasePlate.ipt, etc. Now, I just this afternoon tried to make my first assembly, so I created an Assembly template called CWPassembly.iam and Placed parts into the ass'y file. For what it's worth, I did not change the name at the top of my tree in the .iam, so the uppermost item reads "Assembly1". What I realized is that my assembly does not show instances with names like "BasePlate", "CapScrew", "Collar" or "Bearing" like I named the individual part files, all I have is a list showing "WIDGET1:1", "WIDGET1:2", "WIDGET1:3", "WIDGET1:4", etc. I've read a bit online that changing the names of things in the tree is a lousy idea and full of bugs - is this what's going on here? If so, how can I change my template file back to how it should be so the issue goes away? Or, is it something else entirely? I couldn't attach the .iam b/c cadtutor said it was an invalid file, but attached is on of the .ipt files. Thanks for reading, I'd surely appreciate any help. Base Plate.ipt

NEVER change the name in the top of the tree. That's an override and does not actually change the name of the file.

Open your template and go to that node again. Clear out whatever is in it and then hit enter, it should revert to the normal name.

MArkFlayer, I believe you, and since you typed in CAPS, I'll definitely follow your advice ;) I stumbled on it b/c I don't know what I'm doing, but I learned ACAD pretty well by messing with everything, breaking drawings, swearing, asking questions and repeating... I'm sure I'll do more of this to myself, but it has to be done to figure IV out! What is the purpose of having this text be editable? Could you tell me if there's any other problems this causes? I'd just like to know for curiosity's sake, I have already updated my template file. Thank you!

Thanks for the reply. I'll avoid doing it for sure, and look into the videos you suggested. I'm between jobs to work on right now at work so I've been doing nothing but Inventoring from 7AM-4PM every day. Boss is pretty cool about that kind of thing.