Removing Detail Bubble's "Selection Tail"

Kremer

Good morning all!

To date our company works partially in CAD and partially in Revit. We've made our Revit families match the older CAD style for uniformity. One item we've been half-assing is our detail bubbles.

We never found a way to remove the drag-able "tail" on the detail bubbles in revit, which allow you to draw a boundary around the detail's location. We'd never done this in CAD, we'd always used a leader and simply dropped the detail bubble block beneath the leader. So in Revit I was curious how we could create a family identical to the detail bubble, sans the "tail".

Many thanks!

I'm with Rob... we'll need more clarity. Specifically, there are a few different types of view referencing Families in Revit, and I'm confused if you're talking about the Section bubble and tail, or the Callout bubble and leader.

If you're referencing the Section Family, simply select the Section, and at the Tail, you will see an icon that cycles three modes: Section Bubble, Tail, or None.

If you're referencing the Callout Family, you will have to set the Callout Tag to None in the View Type Properties. But you'll lose the bubble, thus removing the auto-generated reference.

Which, brings up a point in which I will advise that you simply adopt the standard Revit has instead of forcing Revit to do something it can't. This way you don't lose the functionality. If this feels limited, use it anyway. It's better to use a feature that's limited in visible customization, and in the manner it was intended, so you get the full benefits of auto-references rather than put more energy into making things "look the way it did", thus losing the efficiency gained from accuracy and functionality. This also opens the door to a never ending battle of "workarounds", and it's an abysmal road in which no recovery is available other than to go back to the original way you should have been doing it all along. The only question is, what is possible to make "look the way it did" and what is not possible. If it's possible, do it. If it's not possible, let it go and move on.

$0.02 anyways, from a long time user who's been down this road. :)

-TZ

To take it a step further, while AutoCAD is still active, when you can't make Revit look like AutoCAD without breaking functionality or jumping through hoops, make adjustments to AutoCAD to match what Revit does instead of forcing Revit to look like AutoCAD.

To take it a step further, while AutoCAD is still active, when you can't make Revit look like AutoCAD without breaking functionality or jumping through hoops, make adjustments to AutoCAD to match what Revit does instead of forcing Revit to look like AutoCAD.
I wholly agree with this. It's exactly what I've done in the past, and it has made life much easier.

Yup, we've changed quite a few standards that have been around for longer than I have since we started using Revit. Some that I didn't agree with are now getting a second look. Mostly having to do with renovation projects and the way backgrounds are presented, i.e. existing vs. new architectural stuff.

Untitled.jpg

The attachment shows the...unnerving attempt at trying to reduce the size of the selection leader. Ideally, we could have just the detail callout without the need to hide the leader.

I really need to get the terminology down, but I hope this makes it a bit more clear.

Ah, I see. I would opt for using View Reference instead. Which, will still be a change of standards, but like we've mentioned before, sometimes that's necessary.

Help File:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Revit-DocumentPresent/files/GUID-A2E20369-8B83-4BE8-A4CF-2784D66F9A6A-htm.html

Keep in mind, you can always use a Generic Annotation family and just manually input the Sheet Reference, as you would in AutoCAD. But then you lose the auto-referencing feature.

Or, if you must keep the auto-referencing, you can use Elevations as "dummy callouts" by creating a new Section and Callout Head Family with no Section Arrow and using the Reference View feature. But, it will be a heavy workaround, and if it becomes a habit it'll be hard to break.

-TZ

So I got curious and you can actually create a Callout within a View Reference Family. Attached is an example. All you do is load this into your project, place a View Reference, select it and Edit Type, Duplicate the Type and set the View Reference Tag to this Family I've attached and you're good to go.

Not sure why I didn't think of this before. Hope this works out for you. :)

-TZ

View Reference - Callout.rfa