Help with sheet metal part

mandrews

Hi all,

I am a little stuck on this sheet metal part I am trying to recreate from a 2d drawing.

So, the part that I am having issue on is the transition, pretty much a twist feature.

This is my most straightforward approach at modeling this to match the drawing and get a flat pattern for the drawing. I was hoping that the lofted flange would take care of this situation, but find it troublesome. I have attached the part that I have so far. I left the last loft in there, that would be close to what I am trying to achieve as I believe this is what the part looks like. However, when I tried to add a bend, it errors out.

If there is a better or more direct way, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Matt

sm stuck.jpg

sm-stuck.ipt

Wait... hah hah... you don't have one yet... I'm just trying to wrap my head around the shape... I see some lines that I think maybe should be a hidden linetype...

That is a tricky little part indeed. The bottom and sides are easy enough, the twist is a bit annoying. I tried to use a Loft as Surface, Thicken, but it skews the edges away from the side and middle then doesn't flatten. Using a regular Loft works just fine but that doesn't flatten right either. Was thinking about a 3d sketch that could be swept along a line but now we're just getting crazy, I might try it... Attached is a good enough model that flattens but still has the little twist. For manufacturing I would use the overall length, find the angle locations and note that you need a 20° twist, not sure if inventor has capability to calculate that for sheet metal but such is life.

mandrews1.ipt

mandrews1.pdf

This part is is tricky, I wish I had the physical part in front of me. However, it's in another location, so I have some pictures, and it definitely cleared things up for me when I saw the pictures.

P1010412.jpg

P1010414.jpg

P1010413.jpg

kpyoung333, that was the path I was going until I saw the pictures. The pictures showed me that it was a twist. I posted this over on the autodesk forum and they let me know that the twist would not be possible in inventor today.

So, for the time being, I have put in a couple bends and the part will work in the assembly, but the part is not accurate.

bends.jpg

• 1 month later...

Please someone look at this model and tell me how i can get these self intersecting legs to look proper. I will send a photo of how it is supposed to look...

HELP NEED ADVICE PLEASE :geek:

SillPanel.ipt

No, I haven't put much time into this since my last post.

Modeling an accurate (3D) finished part is not an issue.

The real issue is that Inventor will not return a flat pattern because of the twist.