How to show piping layout on Aerial photo from Google earth image

Sengna

I just wondering if you can give me some suggestion or any tutorial about showing underground piping (CAD) on the aerial image from google earth. this is for the presentation purposes to show an idea of project. Appreciate any suggestion.

Only suggestion is play with the colour you use to show the piping, the background can fade out some colours, we use a variety 10 130 90. Also fade the image a bit say 30 this helps.

Only suggestion is play with the colour you use to show the piping, the background can fade out some colours, we use a variety 10 130 90. Also fade the image a bit say 30 this helps.

Hi Bigal, what is 10 130 90? All i am trying to do is that i want to show clear path of my pipeline on the site image (bird view) that from snap from google earth. I want to be able to use autocad to work with this image.

i figured out how to insert the site plan raster image into autocad, i had my can drawing laid on the top of the image but i ran into this issue where all my line and objects were hidden under the image, how can i bring all my object to show on the top of the image?

Draworder send to back, the numbers are colour numbers 10 is red, 90 is green, 130 is blue. Do some home work on using georeferenced jpg's and Tiff's. This makes the image true size and at world co-ords.

• 5 months later...
I just wondering if you can give me some suggestion or any tutorial about showing underground piping (CAD) on the aerial image from google earth. this is for the presentation purposes to show an idea of project. Appreciate any suggestion.

If your pipeline drawing is in real-world coordinates, there is a program called PlexEarth that will pull Google Earth imagery from that location and place background imagery in the geolocated coordinates. It costs a little bit to get going, but I have the basic package that was $99 and use it religiously. The Pro version will upload topography and create clear image mosaics from a zoomed out view... I used that for a while and absolutely loved it. One thing you have to remember though is that you have to use Draw Order to send the images behind the pipeline drawing layers, and you can lighten up the images with Image Adjust (just double click the image and it should automatically pop up). Hope this helps!

If you can get georefrenced images ie a JPG & JGW files then the rescale and move bit is free.

Absolutely! The free route is the way to go most of the time, but I found the PlexEarth program to be very useful in more ways than just pulling background imagery and it's less time consuming, and since the company paid for my copy I use it as much as possible. Now if I was needing to do it on my personal PC, I wouldn't even think twice about going the free route!

Another approach would be to create a KML file that can be displayed in Google Earth. You can then adjust the Google Earth view to something you like and save an image of it.

If you can get the latitude and longitude of piping corners you can create a simple file that shows the piping laying on the surface of the Earth. You can create the file in Notepad or another ASCII text editor.

Here is an example of a kml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
 <Document>
 <name>Sample-clamp-to-ground</name>
   <description>4/27/2017</description>
<LookAt>
   <longitude>-72.373</longitude>
   <latitude>43.3232</latitude>
   <range>500.00000</range>
   <tilt>80.0000</tilt>
   <heading>10.0000</heading>
</LookAt>
   <Style id="RedLineRedPoly">
     <LineStyle>
       <color>ff0000c8</color>
       <width>4</width>
     </LineStyle>
     <PolyStyle>
       <color>7f0000ff</color>
     </PolyStyle>
   </Style>
<Placemark>
     <styleUrl>#RedLineRedPoly</styleUrl>
     <LineString>
       <tessellate>0</tessellate>
       <altitudeMode>clampToGround</altitudeMode>
       <coordinates> 
    </coordinates>
   </LineString>
  </Placemark>
 </Document>
</kml>

Just replace the list of latitude and longitude coordinate in the above code with your coordinates. Also change the values in the LookAt section with values suitable to your location. These values determine the initial view of the data when you open the file in GE.

I set the altitude mode to "clampToGround". This places the lines on the ground and ignores the altitude value. I tried using the absolute mode and setting a negative altitude but the lines would not show.

GE-1.JPG

Side note, I got into kml files years ago as a result of wanting to see my hang gliding flights in Google Earth. I've included a sample hang gliding flight from Mt. Ascutney in Vermont to Morningside Flight Park in NH.

~Lee

Sample-kml-files.zip