Spiral Staircase

bjenk8100

Hello,

I need some help with a spiral staircase. My only procedure I know about in INventor is Helix and rectangular curve function. I cant get my step to be in right position, basically having trouble pinpointing helix beginning and end. ANy insight or links would be greatly appreciated. I already did the Youtube thing.

Thanks,

BAJ

• 1 month later...

This is a suggestion based on Autocad not inventor but may be usefull, you make 1 single tread as a spiral stair case is made of multiple treads, the hand rail is basicly the only thing that is on a spiral. You can create this by seeting your UCS to the correct plane angle for the rise, then draw an arc, and extrude the handrail shape along the arc. Then copy rotate and move vertical.

Screen Shot 01-13-17 at 08.09 AM.PNG

The more details you give the more people can help. I just searched for spiral staircase specs online to get the parameters and code requirements. Created a base shape for the treads on the floor plane, they overlap some. Created a central pole at a certain height. Created a handrail height circle. Coil around the central axis at whatever rise and run you calculate by the pole and step heights. Without calculating the step height, pole height, overall diameter typically 5' or 6', if there will be landing, clockwise or counter for hand hold, where you want the rails to attach to step and what material round or square or custom, the start of the step to the exit at top can mess you up. Lots involved with spirals, don't forget getting an engineering stamp that takes forever, then going to city hall to get a permit for hours, then waiting weeks for it's return or call to revise, then renting a boom lift to put into place, then install. It sucks and barely make a profit even at a large business.

Spiral1.jpg

Spiral2.jpg