Merged Hatch Boundary Problem

StArchitect

Ok so I have many hatches with complex shapes...I want a boundary around the outside of the hatches so I merged the hatches but once I HATCHGENERATEBOUNDARY it highlights the old complex shapes with boundaries instead of just the new merged hatch shape.....:x

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StArchitect

• ReMark

• BIGAL

• abraCADabra

Ok so I have many hatches with complex shapes...I want a boundary around the outside of the hatches so I merged the hatches but once I HATCHGENERATEBOUNDARY it highlights the old complex shapes with boundaries instead of just the new merged hatch shape.....

the first drawing shows the merged hatches and the second shows the HATCHGENERATEBOUNDARY command used....I just want AutoCAD to generate a boundary around the outside edges of the shape. This is just a small part of the entire drawing btw.

I found one solution but I dont know how to convert boundaries into regions.....Use HATCHGENERATEBOUNDARY to generate the boundary for all hatches then convert the boundaries to Regions then use Union to create contiguous regions from which you can use the Hatch S command to hatch the result.

Would it be possible to get a .dwg file with just the above included? If so, please attach to next post. Thanks.

Never mind. I think I came up with something on my own that will work (for testing purposes).

Is this the problem in a nutshell?

BoundaryOfHatches_1.jpg

Edited by ReMark

So your working and helping people at the same time? Your ReMarkable haha thanks again...thing is i have a whole map and your method works on a small scale but take a look at my map and it is harder than an isolated shape. I cant send it to you on here because it exceeds the upload limit but here is a picture.

c.jpg

I can use your method by making sections of the map but cannot get BOUNDARY to find all of the boundaries at once without crashing. It is ok it will just take me longer to get it done.

I'm given a great amount of flexibility as I am the only CAD operator doing this job for a plant that runs 24/7. I work unusual hours and I am basically on call whenever the plant is in operation which is all the time unless there is a shut-down. I have a duplicate work station in my home with full access to everything I have at work.

I can see where the solution I demonstrated might not be as convenient as you would like. Perhaps another forum member knows of a custom lisp routine that would ease your burden.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a hatch that you would like a boundary around. select the hatch, then in the boundaries ribbon select recreate, and it will recreate the boundary around the hatch. I hope that helps!!

I have a problem hatching this area, everytime I try AutoCAD crashes. Can someone please try to hatch it for me and save me the hatched version? :?

The link to the AutoCAD file: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkjMeI7sVx-ykg-e034mF2rH3d-o

There are too many breaks in the lines. It is close to impossible to hatch anything. Almost every shape has gaps. Pick point refuses to work with the gaps, and select objects does not love open polylines causing undesired results.

I made the mistake of picking a point in the lower left most shape. There is a large gap in it which caused HATCH to leak out into open modelspace and lock up. I had to kill it with task manager.

You have some clean-up to do.

But I joined all the polylines together so there should be no gaps....if I was not able to join a polyline that would mean I have a gap in between the two polylines....I do not have any gaps....