Software recommendations needed

cc1

Hi,

I'm in need of recommendations of software to purchase to create plans/drawings for railroad crossings. Any help or suggestions to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. See attached images for example drawings of what I need to create. If you have trouble viewing please let me know and I can upload to hosting site and link or email to you.

Thanks,

Casey

20161127_110605.jpg

20161127_110455.jpg

20161127_110421.jpg

If your work will be primarily 2D in nature you could buy or lease (on a monthly and as needed basis) AutoCAD LT.

Thanks for your reply. Yes my work will consist of 2D only. Does AutoCAD LT have symbols that are commonly used for electrical circuits that can be quickly inserted or would these items have to be drawn each time? For example, the electrical receptacle and light switch shown in one of the attachments in my first post. Also, resistor, and capacitor symbols etc.

Thanks again

Does AutoCAD LT have symbols that are commonly used for electrical circuits that can be quickly inserted or would these items have to be drawn each time? For example, the electrical receptacle and light switch shown in one of the attachments in my first post. Also, resistor, and capacitor symbols etc.

Autocad does ship with some electrical symbols, but you can easily create your own symbols and save them to a folder. When you need them, just insert them as blocks in your drawings. You don't have to draw them each time.

You can also find pre-made symbols for free online, like these: http://www.draftsperson.net/index.php?title=Electrical_Symbols_-_Free_AutoCAD_Blocks

Excellent! Sounds like Autocad lt is the way to go then. I don't have any experience with it, but I'm sure I can get the basics down and learn enough to do what I need to do with it. I wonder if it would be better to purchase or subscribe? I'll probably only use it once or twice a year. If purchased, are updates free of charge?

Alternatives to Autocad? Yes, there are several, but I think the best is probably BricsCad: https://www.bricsys.com/en_US/Bricscad/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAperBBRDfuMf72sr56fIBEiQAPFXszdrAjcvXsAC96_TzEDy56S2vmr74XR3H96jeZVUJfHoaAhHO8P8HAQ

There is also a pretty good free program called Draftsight that you might want to take a look at: http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/