Annotation of multiple details in model and paperspace....looking for opinions

jiggly_jelloo

I do not work a lot in autocad (we run autocad 2009), but my boss wants me to create a drawing that contains all of our standard details (close to 200). These details vary in size from being 2" x 2" all the way up to 12' x 60'. I have created a grid in MS, then I have created layouts with 24 view ports so that he can use these as an 'index'. I then have an individual layout for each detail that can be printed for manufacturing.

Some of the details are already existing in other autocad drawings, so they are simple to cut and paste out, but we also use solidworks so I have been saving those details as .dwg files, but there are a lot of formatting issues to deal with.

The issue I am having is with annotating and dimensioning and scale. I think that the simplest way would be to dimension and annotate in paperspace, but I would have to do everything twice, once on his index sheets then once on the detail sheets. And if he wanted to look at something in model space (which he quite often does) there would be no annotations there.

I have been reading up on annotative dimensions and this seems a possible solution but I am not sure how well it will work with so many different drawing scales required.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Colleen

How many different scales are we talking about?

How do you plan on grouping the 200 details that you have?

You're right. Using annotative scaling for all text and dimensions would avoid the hassle of reproducing the same in model space and in the layout.

It is a mess. It is not in any way, shape or form how I would do things, but he is the boss and what he wants he will get.

We manufacture relocatable structures (office trailers, portable laboratories, accomodation units....both on metal skids and wheeled units). So there are a lot of items that are standard so making individual detail sheets so that I don't have to redraw with each and every job would increase efficiency. Things like sheet metal drain pans, metal racking and steel piece parts that are used in the skid and chassis, 12v wiring diagrams, electrical diagrams, decal locations and all sorts of other stuff. I did have everything set up as individual details, then an excel index that had some additional columns set up for type of detail etc, so it could easily be sorted, then I had hyperlinks to the individual details so it was quick and easy to find things. We are a very small company so we don't have a pdm tool to keep things organized, so this was the simpliest way I could deal with it!

OK so 200 details are a lot but I'm you could use maybe 4 to 5 different scales to cover everything you got. Since you already have your layouts created assign your annotation scale to each layout. Just be sure you assign the annotation scale to each object which can be as many as you like. For instance you can assign a 4:1 scale and a 8:1 scale to your object and select which scale you want to be visible in model space. It will take some work to get things set up but once your done it will be a lot easier. There is a bit of a learning curve to manage your annotative scales but once you have it figured out you'll find they can be very helpful.

Sounds like you should start with Palettes or my old fashioned and create some menus with groups of common items these can have sub sub menus' etc with some task behind the pick button. If you can use notepad you can create menu's.

Screen Shot 09-15-16 at 01.18 PM.PNG

Edited by BIGAL