Problem Finding Area for Some Hatches

StArchitect

I have hatched complex shapes, made sure the lines are Polylines and that they are all joined so that there were no gaps. The problem is when I try to find the AREA of some of the hatched shapes. AutoCAD does not identify some of the hatches as an OBJECT which is the way I know how to find the areas of hatches.:cry:

My dwg is too large for cadtutor to upload... I tried to make it as small as possible, turned out to be about 4 MB and cadtutor only allows 1 MB....why?

I think some of the underlying geometry might be the culprit. In one of the suspect rectangles I copied off to the side, after freezing the layer the hatch pattern was on, I noticed some "extra" lines going off at odd angles.

Upon closer examination I've also found....

1. Lines that extend past the ends of lines that they are supposed to connect to.

2. Gaps where two lines should meet.

3. Lines on top of lines (i.e. - duplicate and in same case triplicate lines). Using OVERKILL AutoCAD returned 824 duplicate objects and an astounding 18,192 overlapping objects. I think that might be a record.

4. Overlapping lines (where a portion of one line runs over the next line that follows it).

5. Portions of boundary lines missing.

Edited by ReMark

Thanks I thought I had all the lines joined... i was tracing a map and it was drawn carelessly before and Im trying to get it organized and find the total area of the hardscape. I started off by tracing it by using BOUNDARY command but that took too long and so I started redrawing it with some of the lines found with BOUNDARY command.

You might be able to utilize the REGION and SUBTRACT commands to arrive at the areas of some of the rectangles with the green lines through them. Here is an example using a small portion of one of the troublesome rectangles.

RegionAreaExample.JPG

First I closed any gaps in the linework. Then I fixed an error in the spline where you see the letter "X" near the top. I ran the REGION command and windowed all the geometry. Three regions were created. I subtracted each of the two smaller regions marked with the letter "X" one at a time using the SUBTRACT command.

The area prior to subtraction was 1126.80; after subtraction it dropped to 1075.61.

One benefit to using regions is you wouldn't have to hatch anything; less overhead (i.e. - smaller file size).

Update. Well I got my Region idea to work in one location but it failed miserably in another so I'd say it's a bust. Back to the drawingboard I guess.

Edited by ReMark