copy/paste assistance

hlshp

Hi, I attempting to copy and paste drawings between files. When I paste the drawing it ends up, very large and in the top right hand corner of the drawing area. I cannot move it and as it is only a partial view cannot select and rescale. I am using AutoCAD 14 Lt.

Can you help.

Many thanks.

Hi ReMark. yes that is correct. I have inherited a number of drawings a number of which are connected by ref. There is no need for this, so I am trying to copy the Xref drawing across to the other. This is preferred as the other file the layouts I require. It pastes over to the model space OK but the pasted drawing is nestled in the top corner and I cannot get full access to scale it etc. I have read some stuff regarding unit sizes. How can I do that?

many thanks

XREFs have a purpose and I would verify that the use of them would not be beneficial in the future before changing them in such a manner. I'm guessing you are only doing this because you are not familiar with them. You should not be copy/pasting entire drawings. I would first try using the XREF manager and binding them. If that doesn't work, then inserting them as a block would be my second choice.

Hi Thanks for the advice. I am trying to educate myself in AutoCAD buts its proving difficult, as it is not my primary task at work. I am the only user of these drawings so it seemed easier to have everything in the same file. At present, I have to amend the Xref then open the other file to print it off.

I tried to create the block, but did not succeed. It seemed to create OK, but I could not find it again when I tried to insert it into the other drawing. I will need to read up on that aspect and try again.

I have to lock up now for the weekend and will try again Monday. Again thanks for your help.

Some more ideas check UNITS in both dwgs make sure the same, are both dwgs at same co-ordinates, we work in world co-ords so use paste original co-ords, if not find a common point in the xref dwg and move all of it to this point then copy and paste, also check scale we have plans that are in mm then we work in metres hence scale factor 1/1000. Check Aeccdwgsetup this has a gotcha in it, scale inserts on insertion it catches us out some times as it uses a scale of 0.348 ie 1 foot. We have to scale 1/0.3048.