Command to allow a 2D pattern (not an image) wrap around a 3D surface/solid?

ADSK2007

Hello All

Have a quick question - Does anyone know if AutoCAD has a command to allow shapes wrap over a 3D surface or solids? Something similar to FlowAlongSrf in Rhino

I have tried many applications and all of them have their good and bads - So far Rhino does it very accurately with great speeeed

Question is about AutoCAD and not other applications

Regards

Adsk

ReMark

Thank you for the reply - I am familiar with the command IMPRINT and the process in that thread

Let me explain this better - Let's say you have a 12" x 12" square PATTERN area - how do you WRAP this pattern "accurately" around a 4" square 3/16" thk. tube?

Again, Rhino does it accurately and very quick but the file I create as IGES or STL is extremely large to load into our 3D laser program

I tried SolidWorks, It wraps around the tube but when I try to cut the shapes into the tube it becomes a nightmare

I tried Inventor and it is much better for what I need but it also has it's export issues

I tried Rhino and it does the job, no problem (a lot more accurate than Inventor)

If I recall correctly you also have experience working with sheet metal and tubing so you understand the process of cutting over CRS and tubing (I need a dxf file for old machines or a good iges / stl file for much newer laser cut machines)

Regards

Adsk

I have no experience what-so-ever dealing with sheet metal and only a smattering of experience dealing with tubing (mostly 1/2" diameter or less).

I don't know how one might go about wrapping a 12x12 square pattern around a 4x4 square tube shape accurately. Sorry.

Remark yeah thought of that myself, also drew a 3x3 grid not 4x4 :lol:

To adsk2007 what is the type of patterns required could they be done as Autocad entities ? ie lines or extruded shapes along a path then arrayed then subtracted ? Depending on how many it may be fairly simple to create a few work arounds.

ScreenShot072.jpg

Hi BIGAL

I will explain the "How it is done" in my next post using snapshots of different applications in the process

Regards

Adsk

Hi BIGAL

I am attaching some snap shots to explain the process - Please take a look

Regards

Adsk

Edited by ADSK2007

So it looks like Rhino can create the pattern and wrap it around the tube very quickly and accurately, but your issue is the file size of the exported .stl file?

I believe Rhino can export to .dwg format, so why don't you create the model in Rhino and then export to .dwg. Then you can open it in Autocad and export to .stl. I'm not sure an exported .stl file from Autocad will be any smaller than the one you get from Rhino, but I guess it's worth a try.

You snuck in your post just as I was posting and had I seen the images would not have posted. Some of the patterns could be created using solids but some would be a nightmare.

HI BIGAL

I wouldn't be here asking professionals like yourself this question if I didn't already done all I thought it would work. As I mentioned earlier, each program has it's good and bad side - Problem with rhino is exporting solids - too many format translations between programs will not give me a good result - problem is the file size for the program (laser cutting program) that imports iges file - if the file is small then it loads with million other issues, missing faces and so on, if it is a large file then the clock keep turning - Only if I could do the whole thing in AutoCAD, I wouldn't need to learn all these programs :(

Regards