Create a No-Plot Color?

eyeofnewt555

I know you can make a layer no-plot, but I'd like edit my ctb file somehow to make a color no-plot. Screening to 0% isn't exactly what I'm looking for, since that effectively masks anything below it, which I don't want.

In this post, someone suggests plotting a 0% screened color with "Lines Merge" selected, but that didn't make any difference for me. The screened back color still printed as white rather than invisible. (Maybe "Lines Merge" just isn't working for me for some other reason?)

If anyone has an alternative for making a given object no-plot, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eyeofnewt555

• ReMark

• Pukenzz

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

EDIT: It's been so long since I dealt with this issue, I may have the INDEX color issue all bassakwards. Please feel free to pillory me and attempt to drown me in beer if I am completely wrong. See, I am already off on the wrong foot. I missed that you are editing your ctb file. Now back to my original post.

It depends on what, if any plot style (*.ctb, or *.stb) you are using. If *.ctb, anything higher than 255 will print in the actual color, even if you are using the monochrome.ctb because the *.ctb only reads the INDEX colors, not the true colors. It will not even offer an edit for any color outside the INDEX colors. If using a *.stb, then you can edit the plot style table to not plot when it encounters a particular color.

instead, I do it by using multiple no-plot layers, A-no-plot, B-no-plot, C-no-plot, and so on... A, B, & C would be names meaningful to me and the current drawing context. The layers are all different colors not used anywhere else in the drawing. All of these colors are from the True Color scale, and way above the 256 limit.

Thanks! I'll test out using a .stb file!

Edit: couldn't get it to work using an .stb file + I want to stick with .ctb since that's what the entire office uses. But thanks!

Edited by eyeofnewt555

Yes, it still prints white rather than invisible. It acts as a wipeout for anything beneath it. Tried doing it with plotter settings on "lines merge" instead of overwrite, and still can't get it.

Does it work for you?

I did not bother to try it since I handle this type of problem via the Layer Properties Manager and the no print option.

OK...I just did a quick test and assigning the index color 255,255,255 to a layer the objects did not print.

Thanks for testing it. Did you check it with an object (such as a hatch) underneath to see if the 255,255,255 object acted as a wipeout? Because it's still not working for me.

Why does it have to be color dependent since there are a number of other options available?

Lines merge should work. Check your printer options for settings concerning lines merge. If there are any, choose one that will darken. Please note that lines merge does have a couple of issues that aren't coming to me ATM.

As stated, I understand that this can be accomplished by using a no-plot layer. This is not ideal for my situation. I would elaborate on why, but I feel like it's not terribly difficult to imagine a scenario in which using a separate layer isn't optimal.

If I've already stated that I know of an existing solution but am looking for an alternative, reiterating the existing solution ain't helpful.

I think looking into why lines merge isn't working might be my best bet at this point. Thank you for suggesting a relevant solution.

As far as "other options available", do you know of anything other than a) using an .stb file instead of .ctb, or b) using a no-plot layer?

a) didn't work for me and goes against how the entire office functions. Would not be implemented even if I could get it to work.

b) isn't the solution I'm looking for. I don't think this needs explanation.

It's been four days since you posted your question and a "no plot color" solution has not been forthcoming. I believe your stuck then. So now what do you do? Restating the exact same question will probably yield the same results.

I believe one possible solution to your problem would be a lisp routine but it won't have anything to do with "color" rather it will make selected objects temporarily invisible until such time as the plot has been generated at which point the objects can be made visible. I doubt that an object made invisible that overlies a hatched area will act as a wipeout. If that is also a criteria then you would be out of luck once again.

I should have thought of this first. The HIDEOBJECTS command which was added in AutoCAD 2011 hides selected objects. The UNISOLATEOBJECTS command will undo the affects of HIDEOBJECTS.

Edited by ReMark

Since we cannot see why one would not to do this with a layer, I think an explanation is in order. Layers are free and that is the way most would do it.

Yes, it still prints white rather than invisible. It acts as a wipeout for anything beneath it. Tried doing it with plotter settings on "lines merge" instead of overwrite, and still can't get it.

Does it work for you?

Make sure you are using color 255,255,255 and not 255. With 255,255,255 and line merge it works just great here. HP wide format color plotter.

Make sure you are using color 255,255,255 and not 255. With 255,255,255 and line merge it works just great here. HP wide format color plotter.
To fully iterate rkent's suggestion, attached is a screen shot.

255_white.png