Reinforced concrete beam annotation and calcs

adamwisker

Hi all,

I'm in my first year of a Construction Management degree, and we have a portfolio task which requires me to do the following:

1. In Model space, dimension and fully annotate the reinforced concrete beam in accordance with current industry conventions. You are free to use layers, colours, line weights and linetypes in Model space as you see fit although your final submission should be monochrome.

2. In Paper space, create a single bordered A3 layout displaying: a) the dimensioned and annotated elevation view to a scale of 1:20 and b) the dimensioned and annotated section views to a scale of 1:10 on the university template.

3. Calculate, showing all your workings, the number, size and length for each shape of reinforcing bar and the total length of steel bar of each diameter. Your results must be neatly tabulated.

The tutor has not taught us how to use Autocad, and has expected us to complete this. I wanted to know whether you CAD gods out there can help me?

I have attached all the files

ARU_ISOA3_bdrPDF.dwg

PT 02 Editing and Extracting Information.pdf

PT 02 Drawing.dwg

Forgive me but it almost seems as though you are asking someone to volunteer to do the project for you. Is that the case?

If you're just looking for suggestions then I have a few.

1. Visit a website called mycadsite.com and go through the tutorials. This will form your basis of knowledge as far as AutoCAD is concerned.

2. Learn all you can about the use of annotative scaling (text and dimensions).

3. Learn all you can about the use of paper space layouts and viewports (ex. - how scales are assigned and how to lock the display). Here is a link to a thread I created entitled "Thing You Should Know About Viewports."

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?72972-Things-you-should-know-about-Viewports.&highlight=viewport+scale

When is the project due?

Edited by ReMark

Hi remark,

Thanks for your reply.

No apologies, I want to learn how to do it myself. I have attempted to do it myself, I will have to attach later as I'' not by my computer. The project is due in next Monday and is one task of 6 portfolio tasks. All others are completed, but it is this one I am really struggling with this one.

Kind Regards,

Adam

So you basically have six days in which to do this. Well I could offer one piece of advice that might save you some time. You could put all of your text and dimensions in your layout. The upside is all of it would be done in real world size meaning if you wanted your text to be 2.5mm that is the size you specify. The one thing you should do however is make sure your dimensions are "associative" which is NOT the same as "annotative". The downside is you may have to label or dimension some entities twice since you'll have more than one viewport showing the same objects at different scales.

So you basically have six days in which to do this. Well I could offer one piece of advice that might save you some time. You could put all of your text and dimensions in your layout. The upside is all of it would be done in real world size meaning if you wanted your text to be 2.5mm that is the size you specify. The one thing you should do however is make sure your dimensions are "associative" which is NOT the same as "annotative". The downside is you may have to label or dimension some entities twice since you'll have more than one viewport showing the same objects at different scales.

Hi Remark,

I've now attached what I have done so far.

I would appreciate it if you could tell me where I have done right or wrong, and suggest what I should need to change.

Portfolio Task 2 – Workings.docx

Kind Regards,

Adam

Task 2 Actual.dwg