Why does my render look like crap?

OMEGA-ThundeR

Hi,

I am making a 3D design of some button layout and recreated a button i want to use in AutoCAD.

The problem i have when rendering is that the render result looks as 'choppy' as the modelspace model.

Why aren't my round shapes round and do they have 'corners' and 'curves' in them?

i use the 'presentation' preset under RPREF, but it still turns out as crappy as the model space...

What am i doing wrong? Is it a setting i forgot?

The wireframe render has perfect round objects, but it gets more 'squared' on more detailed shadings.

render.jpg

model render.jpg

wireframe.jpg

Ok, i'll try that later tonight.

However, as far as i can tell at my work this setting only changes the look in the modelspace.

If i lower FACETRES round objects get more 'edgy', but in the render it still looks good.

It might also be a difference in CAD version. At home i use 2015 and at work 2017... But i will find out tonight :).

My home computer has a i7 4790k with 16gb ram and a AMD 290 GPU.

Powerfull enough i recon.

At work it's in Xeon E5-1620 V3, 32gb ram and Quadro M4000 GPU.

The renders in the OP are made from home. I haven't tested it at work yet (forgot), i can try tomorrow.

DWG i can supply this evening.

Looks like you might have a Radeon R9 290 graphics card, which is a good card but pointless in this example as AutoCAD does not use the video card for rendering. It still uses the CPU. You have an i7 4790k which is a D@MN good cpu. It is a hyper-threaded quad core which will give you 8 rendering cores. It is also unlocked, shown by the "k" designation, which means that you can over clock it for more speed. Start with CAD64's advice and smooth out the image. You also need make adjustments in your lighting and perhaps materials. AutoCAD has a good rendering engine but it takes a bit of adjustments to get a good render. You have a good start so keep going ;)

http://www.cad-notes.com/autocad-2016-rendering/

Oops, I saw above you are using 2015 at home but in your profile it says 2016.

I tried the settings but nothing changed... Used Autocad 2015 and Civil 3D 2017, and Autocad 2017 @ work. Even if i remove objects and only render the pushbutton or the body, still edgy.

i've added the DWG file in a RAR archive.. it's just over 1 mb and couldn't upload otherwise.

3dbutton.rar

Hot damn! My units are off or i need to size things up... tried to draw in Meters (so a lot of 0.00x sizes)... But indeed it seems to make everything smooth again when sizing it up...

Thanks, this makes my day :).