FLATSHOT inserted block lineweights default to 0.00 mm, why?

oftenly

Say I build some geometry and run the FLATSHOT command. I tell the linetypes and colors to be "by layer," and insert the block into layer 0 which has a lineweight of "default" (0.25 mm, LWDEFAULT confirms). Just selecting the block shows that the lineweights are indeed "by layer." However, upon plotting the lines appear very thin compared to everything else, and when I explode the block the lineweights of all the elements are 0.00 mm.

My question is: why? How is this changed?

Everything I see on the internet is mostly about using BEDIT to go into the block and change the lineweights by hand every time. Hell no. I want the lineweights of any created block to adhere to the lineweights of the layer into which its inserted, no matter what. Is this truly impossible to accomplish?

ACAD 2017, btw. More and more I'm finding out this version is "weird" and not completely supported. Maybe it's a bug of some sort?

Suffice to say, I've been advised by an older gentleman (from ye olden ACAD tymes, well before paperspace) to expect a lot of "weirdness" with 2017, and that that's partly due to the fact that most people don't use 2017 yet, and as a result Autodesk isn't really worried about small issues with it at this point in time.

His explanation, not mine. I can't get it to produce the correct paper size in paperspace (using the (+) button to create a new layout), no matter what I do to try to tie in my standard template. Also, whenever I ctrl-C and ctrl-V something, layer 0 changes color to a dark brown, for seemingly no reason. Going into a paperspace layout and back into model space changes the color back to white (or whatever I have it set at, which is normally white). There's another issue that I can't remember right now, but I have been advised to simply ignore these for now. Not helpful, I know, but it's allowed me to move forward.

My current assumption is that FLATSHOT blocks only creating block elements at 0.00 mm lineweight might be part of this nebulous explanation, too. Figured I'd ask, though.

Can't say I have encountered any of the problems you mention nor have I read any other accounts of similar experiences by others and I frequent three to four AutoCAD related help sites every day. Most problems attributed to the initial release resulted in crashes and not the things you mentioned. Maybe you just had a bad install. Or maybe your hard drive has corrupted sectors and something got scrambled during the installation process. Have you tried a REPAIR of the installation? Are the problems you cite repeatable on a consistent basis? Have you contacted AutoDesk about the problems? Are you on subscription?

I see no reason to believe your lineweight issue has anything what-so-ever to do with any 'weirdness' you might be attributing to AutoCAD 2017. Are you implying that in earlier releases FLATSHOT did create block elements at the lineweight specified for the layer the blocks were inserted into? If so, which releases or releases might that have been. I have access to a number of past releases. I'm currently running 2017 myself (no problems from day 1) and also have 2015 loaded.

• 4 weeks later...

I always handle lineweights, etc through the layer manager and *almost* always set everything about a particular object to ByLayer. Since at least 2012, my flatshot has always set the lines to 0.00mm, despite the current layer settings. It's maybe a setting somewhere, but it's never bothered me really... usually there's some extra junk I don't want in the new block anyway, so I'm already going in to edit it, changing lineweight isn't too burdensome at that point.