Tracking columns from roof to floors below using dynamic blocks

jaff

I would like to get help with tracking post/columns from roof plan to floor plan all the way down to foundation plan. I have created dynamic blocks for wood posts (swan lumber) and I want to create a system using blocks or dynamic blocks that will help me track down all my post through different floors but the problem I face is that once a create a block of all my post, the dynamic feature for post above and below cannot be used.

Question:

How do I create a block and still use the dynamic features of my "sub-blocks" (I do not if this a correct word "sub-blocks").

To get a better idea of my discussion please see attached drawing and start to look at the post and columns from the roof and work your way down until you get to the 3rd floor. Might want to reload the xref file called x-background into x-plans to see walls below and above.

Thanks,

x-plans.dwg

x-background.dwg

Why have you grouped posts as a block ? They should remain individual and like you say be dynamic blocks, for a height have you looked at using thickness and make it dynamic also. make a copy of all floors then you can from a 3d view stack all floors on top of each other creating elevations etc.

ScreenShot073.jpg

Its unusual to see details above and below a floor plan on the same plan, but besides that what are you wanting to know. The dynamic properties of a block are not accessible in nested (sub) blocks unless you open that block in the block editor, what are you wanting to achieve, what is the idea of tracking, can you explain that a bit more, if you need multiple elements to be dynamic then you will either need to find some way to select them as a group (you can group blocks and there custom properties are available in the properties manager but only for global editing), or create a block with multiple posts and lots of dynamic properties, putting your posts on their own layer or a layer per floor would make selection easier (using the selectsimilar command)

Bigal, thank you for your suggestion but 3D view is not an option it takes to much time and it gets complicated when making substantial changes.

3D view is not an option it takes to much time and it gets complicated when making substantial changes.

This is a huge misconception. It actually takes less time and changes are much easier to make, once you know what you are doing.