Copy and Paste problems

Morning all

I am currently trying to copy and paste across from one drawing to another; from a survey conducted by an external company to our own construction drawings. I was expecting to have been able to simply Copybase 0,0 and paste to original co-ordinates, which would have overlaid the survey onto our drawings, but this isn't working. When I point ID anything from the survey drawing, the co-ordinates aren't on the same grid as our own construction drawings.

As an example, one of the existing traffic lights surveyed by the survey company has these co-ordinates attached;

E 430526438.03644

N 570510431.73778

Our own survey of the same traffic light has these co-ordinates;

E 430526.273

N 570510.318

As you can see, the first six digits are the same. When I moved the decimal place of the survey co-ords three places to the left, it overlaid onto the survey we had done of the same traffic light fairly accurately, within 200mm.

I could go through each point and move the decimal place, but there is so much information on the survey, I would still be working on it at the start of 2018!! I just need to know how to change the survey information to match our own co-ordinate grid.

My CAD skills are pretty basic and I'm self taught so I will assume there is a reasonably straightforward solution. I hope this post has made sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Make a copy of the external survey drawing (SaveAs and give it another name) and scale the whole drawing about 0,0 with the scale factors of x=0.001, y=0.001 and z=0.001, and save it. You can now copy and paste from this drawing to your own construction drawings.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So step by step, this is what I should try;

SCALE - SELECT OBJECTS (highlight objects) - SPECIFY BASE POINT (0,0) - SPECIFY SCALE FACTOR (0.001,0.001,0.001) - then copybase 0,0 and paste across as normal?

ps. sorry about the laymans

CADTUTOR01.dwg

The attached drawing above (CADTUTOR01dwg) is what I have come up with. It seems the survey (multicoloured) is slightly too large and slightly off angle to match in with the kerbs (white).

You have to bear in mind that the different surveys might have been produced by different methods.

The modern survey drawing should have been produced by surveying instruments working directly with GPS to produce Ordnance Survey coordinates.

If your construction drawings were produced by using the Ordnance Survey mapping, then there could be up to one metre differences in places, because there is no paper trail as to how the Ordnance Survey mapping was produced.

Generally, you have to use a "best fit" alignment, but trust the dimensions on the most recently surveyed drawing.

Try investigating X-refs. You would insert the survey company's drawing at 0,0 and with a scaling of 0.001 in x, y and z. You then can move the whole survey drawing in relation to your construction drawings.

How exactly do I change the scales of x,y&z? I need to shrink the size of the survey and it would then fit the kerbline drawing perfectly

The way that I would do it is to first of all, open up the external survey drawing. Make sure that all layers are ON and THAWED and UNLOCKED, so that you can see absolutely everything.

Then start the SCALE command, either by typing on the command line or picking the command from the Modify menu.

Then follow the prompts on the command line, you type what is in red.

Command: scale

Select Objects: all

4455 found

Select Objects: (Return) - this shows that you have finished selecting objects.

Specify base point: 0,0

Specify scale factor or [Reference]: 0.001

There you are. Save As the drawing with another name, so you do not get muddled up and also you are keeping the original drawing as it was sent to you.

Edited by eldon
added instruction

That's worked, you Sir, are a gentleman.

Sorry for the laymans terms, I'm still pretty raw at this.

Thanks for your help, hugely appreciated.